Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yungpeezy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2021
Is there any way to update the bootloader/bootroom/efi from yosemite to high sierra on these macbooks without access to an original 12+16 apple drive ????????

I bought the macbook on a deal with no drive installed, with the plan to buy a nvme adapter to use with an existing drive I have. Based on my research and understanding, the macbook does not detect nvme drives on any OS prior to High Sierra. The laptop bootloops whenever I try to boot a usb drive or external drive with High Sierra or later. I had no issues booting from a usb drive or external drive with Sierra or earlier. From what I understand, is that the laptop needed to be updated to High Sierra with an original apple drive installed for the bootloader/bootrom/efi to be updated for it to be able to detect a NVME drives. With that information, anything that can help with the question above.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You can purchase an Apple 128GB OEM SSD and use that to update the boot loader to the latest one from Big Sur or the latest Mojave or Catalina Security Update.

yungpeezy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2021
I clearly asked for a solution that does not involve that. Where I'm currently located it is physically impossible to get my hands on one in the near future.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Well I think what you want may not be possible.

There is a thread on doing the upgrade: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

You could ask there.

I’m pretty sure you need to use an OEM SSD to do the upgrade if you have a very old Boot ROM. It’s recommended to get the NVMe hibernation fix in Boot ROMs in recent Mojave and Catalina Security Updates and Big Sur updates even if you want to then run High Sierra.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.