Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Hi everyone,

I recently had to wipe a MacBook Air, and after I was done restored the machine from a Time Machine backup taken only moments before beginning the process.

Afterwards, it would seem that all the local folders within Outlook have gone away, and I cannot seem to get them back.

Steps taken so far:
* Tried to import .olm file, but the directory only contains .olk14xxxx files (xxx being seemingly random characters)

* Tried pointing the import to old directories within Time Machine, same result.

* Tried the MS Database Utility to rebuild the Identity (both the current and one imported from a December backup)

So far, no luck. All of the articles I've read online have seemingly stopped after being pointed towards the Microsoft User Data/Office 2011/Identities path, but I can't seem to get anywhere with only this information. Has anyone else had an issue with this?

MacBook Air was running OS X 10.8 at the time of backup, and has been upgraded to 10.11.

Thanks!

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
MA
For the sake of reference, I ended up finding a solution.

After numerous attempts at trying to get the folders back, I grabbed the old identity of Time Machine, and imported it to the computer's Desktop. From there, I used Database Utility to add the identity to the database.

From there, you can select which identity to use. I chose the old one, and then launched Outlook. It was able to rebuild the old identity, and after syncing with the server, I had a complete profile once again.

Hopefully if anyone else has issues, this will be of help. The key here was learning about the functionality within Database Utility to be able to switch identities, not just import/rebuild them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.