Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hey guys,

my WoW pre-paid card has finally run out, can until I get another one, I need something to occupy myself. I tried installing Warcraft 3 and the Frozen throne, and it doesnt install properly. After the installation is complete, somehow, the installation screen doesnt change, it still says: "click to install the frozen throne", and there is absoultly no way that I can play it that I know of.

Any ideas?

PS, can anyone recommend a good MMorpg for mac that is free, and has alright graphics and gameplay?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hey guys,

my WoW pre-paid card has finally run out, can until I get another one, I need something to occupy myself. I tried installing Warcraft 3 and the Frozen throne, and it doesnt install properly. After the installation is complete, somehow, the installation screen doesnt change, it still says: "click to install the frozen throne", and there is absoultly no way that I can play it that I know of.

Any ideas?

PS, can anyone recommend a good MMorpg for mac that is free, and has alright graphics and gameplay?

This post got me wanting to dust off my copy of w3 and w3ft so I did. It's currently installing War3RoC.

Unsure but have you tried installing to a different location? Check to see if the cd is scratched as well.

Wish I could be more help.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I will try and install it again and see what happens. Also, anyone have a link to that OSX-native installer from blizzard? I can't seem to find it on thier site.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I will try and install it again and see what happens. Also, anyone have a link to that OSX-native installer from blizzard? I can't seem to find it on thier site.

Pretty much all Blizzard games have a native installer on the cd. The games are developed to be installable from both Windows and OSX.

After you install though (provided you get that far) there's a 1.21 patch you'll need to download which helps on running the GAME not the installer.

If your just installing RoC there's a patch and upgrade patch. My thoughts are you probably need the FULL PATCH.

If you plan on installing FT then you install RoC then FT THEN install the FT 1.21 FULL patch.

Good luck. I can't find my FT cd so I'm stuck with RoC for now. Ahh what a good break it is too. Think I'll open up ye'ole map editor and see if I can make a map or 2 (if I remember how)

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Alrihgt, where can i find this patch? or does it automatically download when you log into battlenet?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
That's not true for any Blizzard games (Starcraft, Diablo) released before OS X.

It may be true for WC3, however.

Try this - http://us.blizzard.com/support/arti...oryId=2549&parentCategoryId=2542&pageNumber=1

Ohh you quoted me and didn't even read the quote. Let me quote myself...

Pretty much all Blizzard games have a native installer on the cd. The games are developed to be installable from both Windows and OSX.

The game in quest HAS the OSX installer built in. Yes the older games especially the ones written for windows 95/98 or earlier may or may NOT have a Mac installer (note the post in question doesn't say OSX but native). Hmmm, to eleviate some confusion let me change the font to bold on the items to help those who select parts of text to read so they stand out.... There better.

The OP is only concerned with the game in question. My reply still stands true as does yours. PRETTY MUCH all games Blizzard has put out have a Mac installer built it.

It's not like I'm going to put my Warcraft I CD and expect it to install. Although, I'm curious if the BattleChest set has native installers. Guess I'll have to go out and buy that to find out then my statement would be even more true.

Regardless OSX yes only games released after OSX may or may not have a OSX installer, including re-releases but Pretty Much all Blizzard games have a MAC installer of some kind either built in or were released for Mac and some have combined versions like Diablo 2, Starcraft Exp (Broodwars), just to name a few (been playing Blizzard and Westwood (now EA) games since 3.11).

Hope you got RoC installed. Got mine though my FT cd is still Mia. I did find C&C though ;)

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Only to suggest that saying (incorrectly) that "Pretty much all Blizzard games...are developed to be installable from both Windows and OSX" might be confusing to folks having install problems. But not in this case, since I do think WC3 has an OS X-native installer on disk.

Be interested to hear if this was resolved. You could email Blizzard support (they're pretty good) if it's not.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Only to suggest that saying (incorrectly) that "Pretty much all Blizzard games...are developed to be installable from both Windows and OSX" might be confusing to folks having install problems. But not in this case, since I do think WC3 has an OS X-native installer on disk.

Be interested to hear if this was resolved. You could email Blizzard support (they're pretty good) if it's not.

Not to smash the OP (and please don't take this the wrong way OP) I believe it might just be what is on the link you provided. A dirty or scratched disk.

I'll admit, seeing this post has brought back some nastalgia in wanting to install older games, I did RoC and I probably played that game like 4 times with my son when I first bought it and then shelved it. Now it's dusted off and installed.

OP I too hope your issues get resolved. Definitely try the suggestions in the link aidanpendragon posted. Let us know how it turns out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.