Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisO92

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
So I erased an old SSD and then made the mistake of restarting the computer before trying to reinstall the OS. I booted it back up in recovery mode using internet recovery. When I attempted to reinstall the OS from there, I was met with this:
20200301_160746.jpg

A strange white bar at the bottom of the screen and no disks to install the OS on. So I went back to the disk utility tab and everything seemed to be fine there. Here is the info on the disk I am trying to reinstall ML on.
20200301_160726.jpg
20200301_160656.jpg

What could be the problem here and what do I do?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have seen something similar.

Can you give some information about what Mac you are using?

DennisO92

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
I'm using a 2012 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core i5 2.5GHz processor. Does that help any?

DennisO92

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Yes, this is just an SSD that I'm trying to sell. I just took my personal drive out to put this one in so that I could erase it and reinstall the OS.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, this is just an SSD that I'm trying to sell. I just took my personal drive out to put this one in so that I could erase it and reinstall the OS.
What OS did you run on your original drive?

I had a similar issue once, but with an older iMac. I replaced the OEM HDD with a SSD, then attempted to install the OS.

I was trying to install 10.13 on it, but the installer gave me an error saying I couldn't. I was able to install older OS versions, but not the one I wanted.

I did some research, and determined that I couldn't install 10.13 on the SSD because I never installed 10.13 on the HDD that came with the Mac, and there was Firmware that was needed to install 10.13 on an SSD.

Basically, I removed SSD, put the OEM drive back in, update the OS.

I am unsure if your issue is related, but if you cannot figure out your issue, maybe try putting your original drive back in, and updating to the newer OS.

It might be a long shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.