Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsoria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
Hey all,

I've been to the Genius Bar twice about this along with posting on the Apple discussion forums and haven't had any luck so far. Hopefully someone here might know something I can try.

I'm upgrading my hard drive. I have the new hard drive in a separate enclosure and the Time Machine backup (about 80GBs) is in a G-Technology G|RAID storage device set up as RAID 1. I plan to install the new hard drive in my 2010 MacBook Pro once I get the data transferred over.

I've tried restoring my most recent backup 3 times now. The first time, I let it run for 5+ hours. It got to 0.1% with 1100+ hours remaining before I stopped it, thinking something might be wrong. I asked around and everyone said to try it again, so I did, this time letting it run for 36 hours. This time, it got up to 2.5% in about 12 hours and then stayed there until I stopped it. The third time, I tried using a different computer to facilitate the transfer. It ran for an hour, behaved the same as before, so I stopped it.

Does anyone know what's wrong here?

I've done multiple Time Machine restores in the past and they never took this long. The new hard drive is brand new and has 2 partitions. On the other partition, I've successfully restored Snow Leopard (240+GBs) from a different Time Machine backup device (Iomega). That took about 6 hours. I feel like it has to be the G|RAID causing problems, but I haven't seen anything about that. It backs up just fine, transfers other data back and forth just fine, it just won't restore with Time Machine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.