Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trixie2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2019
So I love using Apple CarPlay...when it works. I'd say it works about 60% of the time, and this is in my new 2018 GMC Terrain.

My main issue is 3rd party iPhone apps not working, like Spotify or Sirius XM apps. Most of the time when these apps won't work with Carplay my other Apple apps do work-- like Podcasts or Maps. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Last edited:

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Being the member of a family of GM technicians and service advisors, I can tell you 95 percent of the issues with CarPlay are the phone, not the vehicle. I would try to pinpoint the issue on the phone first. Try restarting phone, reinstalling apps.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Being the member of a family of GM technicians and service advisors, I can tell you 95 percent of the issues with CarPlay are the phone, not the vehicle. I would try to pinpoint the issue on the phone first. Try restarting phone, reinstalling apps.

Lol. When I worked for GM, the engineers said it was 100% the phone!

Reactions: MacintoshDan

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
In all seriousness, one solution given me by GM engineers was to do a hard unpair of your phone from the vehicle. That means doing a regular unpair but with driver door open for at least 30 seconds post-unpairing. Apparently that purges all vestiges of a bad Bluetooth connection from the vehicle memory and allows you to start fresh. This is said to assist CarPlay issues even though those are not Bluetooth connections.

Reactions: 317342

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I've had this happen a few times on my 2017 Chevy Colorado LT. Since my year model requires the phone be plugged into lightening cable. I usually just unplug it from the phone and then plug it back in and this usually resolves the issue. I've also occasionally had bluetooth not reconnect when it wasn't plugged in. If I don't need to use Car Play I will sometimes just use bluetooth. In the case of bluetooth I've had to turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on and re-pair it, then it works just fine. I do agree that in most cases this is a phone issue.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
In all seriousness, one solution given me by GM engineers was to do a hard unpair of your phone from the vehicle. That means doing a regular unpair but with driver door open for at least 30 seconds post-unpairing. Apparently that purges all vestiges of a bad Bluetooth connection from the vehicle memory and allows you to start fresh. This is said to assist CarPlay issues even though those are not Bluetooth connections.
I concur with this, we have been told this too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.