Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepypiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with creating a bootable OS X Lion (or preferably Mountain Lion) USB installer. For background context,

- I have already read several articles and guides all to no success,
- and I have already tried install Lion straight onto my iMac via Internet Restoration, but that didn't work.
- My two devices are a 2015 MacBook Air running Monterey, and a 2011 iMac that (until I erased it 🤦‍♂️) ran High Sierra.

I jumped to conclusions and made the stupid idea of erasing my old iMac in order to restore it to Lion or Mountain Lion (for nostalgia reasons if anyone's wondering/needs context), without really any prior knowledge.

My main issues at this point are with creating a Mountain Lion USB installer, or installing Lion on my iMac via Internet Restore.

If I attempt to make a Mountain Lion USB with my MacBook Air:
- I downloaded the official InstallMacOSX.dmg for Mountain Lion from Apple
- Following the article I'm reading, I install the Mountain Lion installer via the DMG, where during setup I get the (very expected) error "Your computer is not compatible with OS X Mountain Lion." What I am trying to do is install the Mountain Lion installer to extract InstallESD.dmg, and burn it onto the USB.

But, I also tried installing Lion directly onto my iMac with Internet Restore:
- I hold cmd+opt+shift+r during boot
- It loads Internet Restore
- I successfully begin installing Lion, but it always ends with "Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X."

Please, help! I have no idea what to do now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.