Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newpain01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
I recently got a 2011 iMac 27" from a friend and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

When I turn it on, I hear a chime and then the apple logo shows up with the progress bar (the background is light grey, looks washed out), then after a couple of seconds the apple logo and progress bar disappear and the grey screen remains for another 20-30 seconds and after that it restarts and repeats the same thing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

iMac Booting.JPG

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I recently got a 2011 iMac 27" from a friend and I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

When I turn it on, I hear a chime and then the apple logo shows up with the progress bar (the background is light grey, looks washed out), then after a couple of seconds the apple logo and progress bar disappear and the grey screen remains for another 20-30 seconds and after that it restarts and repeats the same thing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

View attachment 2069689

Common error of this model: Half-dead GPU.

Reactions: newpain01

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Your graphics (daughter) card has failed. I dont think its worth repairing, but if you are very keen there is a whole thread here in this section where people have replaced and upgraded the GPU, modified the heatsink etc.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It is most likely the GPU or the internal HDD has started to fail and/or the boot OS is corrupt.

GPU failures are so common for your model, but it might be worth trying to boot from another drive, or try internet recovery.

newpain01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
Thanks for the response everyone, I will remove the graphics card and try to replace it. I don't want to throw this machine away, it's powerful enough to be used as a second computer (I need one anyway), so I think it's worth repairing, if I can manage to repair it myself.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for the response everyone, I will remove the graphics card and try to replace it. I don't want to throw this machine away, it's powerful enough to be used as a second computer (I need one anyway), so I think it's worth repairing, if I can manage to repair it myself.
If it has one of the more expensive GPUs, you can look into baking the GPU. People have been baking the GPU with varying success for a while.

A few years ago, my friend found an iMac in a dumpster, and he tried to boot it, and it didn't boot. He gave it to me, and found out it had a bad HDD. I replaced it with a SSD and found out that this dumpster find was a top of the line BTO Mid 2011 iMac with the rare 2GB 6970M GPU. A short time later, the GPU started to show signs of failure. I did the bake method, placing the GPU in the oven @400F for about 10 minutes, and it fixed it.

Baking is considered a temporary fix, but it has worked for years now without issue in my case.

I wouldn't bother if yours had the base model GPU, as it was pretty underpowered.

If you decide to replace the GPU with anything other than the OEM one, check out this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/

It is long, but the beginning has really helpful information on current compatibility of non-Apple supplied GPUs.

If you stick with a GPU from the Late 2009 to Mid 2011 iMacs, certain ones have a bigger heatsink. Example, the 6770M has a small heatsink known as the "two pipe", and the 6970M has a large heatsink or "three pipe".

If the iMac is a stock 27" with the 6770M, and you replace it with a 6970M, you have to get the larger heatsink as well.

The same applies to certain non-Apple GPUs as well. The thread gives a lot more info on that.

newpain01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
Perfect, thank you for this info, it's very valuable.
I saw videos of people doing the bake method, so I was thinking of trying that before buying a new card, but I will check again once I disassemble it to see what card is inside, will post a picture here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.