Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Earlier this year I purchased a refurbished 4k Apple TV when we got a 4k TV. When I first got it, if I clicked it, it would turn on the TV and select the correct input. This is also how my Roku remote works.

Now lately it has gotten lazy or it is screwed up. After it has been inactive for a period of time, clicking the Apple TV remote does not turn the TV on, and it may not even register as an input until I unplug and replug it in, or I reset it using the menu and the button with the tv icon on it, side by side.

So is this screwed up? I think it is. Is there any other way to reset it, other than what I have already done?

I have an extended warranty on it so it is exchangeable. What do you think? Talk to Apple before trying to return it to the vendor (not Apple)?
Thanks!

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Are you running any version of tvOS 13? What I have noticed may be part of your problem. Some time in the tvOS 13 Betas, my TV no longer acknowledges my ATV and will not auto set it up in the UI with the other input devices and the universal remote will not operate it. This was not a problem in tvOS 12.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
When I first got it, if I clicked it, it would turn on the TV and select the correct input.

What TV do you have? Is the Apple TV 4k directly connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports? The port is HDMI-CEC compliant? Does the TV have auto-sensing, I.E. it will automatically switch inputs to active ports? Is the light showing on the Apple TV?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What TV do you have? Is the Apple TV 4k directly connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports? The port is HDMI-CEC compliant? Does the TV have auto-sensing, I.E. it will automatically switch inputs to active ports? Is the light showing on the Apple TV?
  • 2019 Visio P series.
  • Yes connected to TV via HDML. I assume so, the HDML cable is 4k compliant.
  • I assume so.
  • Auto switching, Apparantly so, because it does that for all connected devices.
  • When this issue occurs the light does not appear on the ATV, until I reset it as described, or I unplug and plug it back in. Then it goes back to functioning as it should.
The important point is that the ATV was worked for 5 months consistently, and this just poped up earlier in the week with nothing else changing, except an update?

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Earlier this year I purchased a refurbished 4k Apple TV when we got a 4k TV. When I first got it, if I clicked it, it would turn on the TV and select the correct input. This is also how my Roku remote works.

Now lately it has gotten lazy or it is screwed up. After it has been inactive for a period of time, clicking the Apple TV remote does not turn the TV on, and it may not even register as an input until I unplug and replug it in, or I reset it using the menu and the button with the tv icon on it, side by side.

So is this screwed up? I think it is. Is there any other way to reset it, other than what I have already done?

I have an extended warranty on it so it is exchangeable. What do you think? Talk to Apple before trying to return it to the vendor (not Apple)?
Thanks!

I have the same issue... it used to be a press on the trackpad. Now after the update, you must press buttons, and it also seems to be less narrow view getting input just to wake it up...

Dunno why that would be. Particularly when its not IR. When i get time, i might restore to factory defaults and see. It also happens on AppleTV 4 as well. However, i turn off HDMI-CEC set... its just trouble waking it up

Reactions: Huntn

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
The important point is that the ATV was worked for 5 months consistently, and this just pooped up earlier in the week with nothing else changing.

tvOS 13 changed the functionality of the ATV. The trackpad used to turn mine on but now the Menu or other button must be pressed.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have the same issue... it used to be a press on the trackpad. Now after the update, you must press buttons, and it also seems to be less narrow view getting input just to wake it up...

Dunno why that would be. Particularly when its not IR. When i get time, i might restore to factory defaults and see. It also happens on AppleTV 4 as well. However, i turn off HDMI-CEC set... its just trouble waking it up

tvOS 13 changed the functionality of the ATV. The trackpad used to turn mine on but now the Menu or other button must be pressed.

Thanks guys for the info!

@Tech198 What does HDNI-CEC do or not do for the signal? Is that on the TV? Where did you decide to leave it? Now that I understand what is required, I’ll leave the settings alone, if I’m getting a good response from the ATV using the remote As is.

As a side note, I realize Apple likes to set itself apart from the competition, but I have never liked the slide function on the ATV remote. I much prefer the Roku controller, give me buttons. ;)

@Edd70 I just tried it and both the menu and home button turns on the TV, but it seems to take substantially longer for it to pop up on the screen, then before. Still good news, thanks!
However one time (so far) after the TV came on, the ATV interface briefly appeared, but then went to no signal. Pushing one of those buttons revived it and it stayed on.

8ACC6147-8B43-4312-BF3F-1ED04CC3C9E3.jpeg

Last edited:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I've had this issue with the Apple TV remote for years. It will just randomly stop connecting and sometimes will not reconnect after jumping through every hoop. I wind up using my phone to connect and check the remote every so often until one day it will work out of the blue.

Apple said remote was OK, I'm on 3rd remote with same issue on 2nd ATV Apple replaced under warranty.

Total overpriced garbage IMO.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks guys for the info!

@Tech198 What does HDNI-CEC do or not do for the signal? Is that on the TV? Where did you decide to leave it? Now that I understand what is required, I’ll leave the settings alone, if I’m getting a good response from the ATV using the remote As is.

I dunno. i just get the annoying feeling of "anything" HDMI-CEC is a bad idea, as there is just much that can do wrong, and probably will.

I hate auto settings with a passion... 'I want control buddy.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.