Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I'm having Xserve issues again.

I have an Xserve 1,1 running Lion and Yosemite and a later revision XRAID (larger cache) with two PC (Non-Apple) LSI 7204EP Fibre Cards as recommended by the Hardware Compatibility guide HERE. The weird issue I am running into is that only one of the four Fibre card ports "works." In the "Fibre" section of System Preferences, it shows the link as connected whenever I plug the XRAID into ANY of the ports, but only on the first port of the left card do I get a disk connection. I can plug either of the Fibre cables from the XRAID into this port and get the disk to mount no problem, but not in any of the other ports, even the second port on the same card doesn't work.

Is there anything that can be done? Right now, I have to manually change cables to access the other half of my XRAID array if I want that disk mounted, and unmount the existing array. Should I bite the bullet and get an "Official" Apple card? Do you think this will solve my issue? I thought buying a second card would help, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I've also determined that it's not an OS issue. Same issues in Yosemite. Any advice?

Thanks for all your continued support as I straighten out my Xserve issues.
-N

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Development: I brought home my Mac Pro 1,1 from work. Same exact thing with that tower. Just one of the four ports works. Both cards recognized, Fibre links established fine, but only one port allows mounting of the disk. I'm going to try in a Windows tower.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
You probably checked already, but just double checking, are all the cards at the minimum proper hardware/firmware versions. And if so, are they the same versions? It's been a long time since I dealt with this stuff but I seem to recall some versions not playing nice with each other.

Both cards are actually a HIGHER firmware revision. Apple states that the highest firmware revision is 1.03.23, but both my cards run 1.03.25, according to system profiler. I don't suppose there's a way to DOWNGRADE the firmware, just to test? At this point, at least one card isn't even doing anything for me, so if I brick it, whatever.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Being too high might be an issue. I can't remember though for sure, it's been more than a day. :(

I think we went over this though, if you unplug the working card, do you still get nothing on the other card? If so, I would say... bad card, at least in the Mac.

Yeah, I've tried all the card configurations. I just purchased a new card. Gonna try to recoup losses on the bay. Thanks for the help.

pablos

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2016
Hi, can anyone help me with apple firmware file (1.03.23) dump from LSI7404?
And eventually install files of LSI's software for osx?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.