Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I have a Trovi virus on my mac and macbook pro (surprise, surprise). I have tried numerous ways of getting rid of it, but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Thank you
frustrated

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Technically speaking, not a virus, but adware, but that quibble aside... https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/
It's free, fast, and far easier than locating and trashing files in the system library.

The thing is, if you have Trovi, it's possible, if not likely, to have any number of other bits of adware installed that you may not know about. MalwareBytes will find it all, not just the stuff you're aware of.

You get this by downloading and installing apps. Saying, "from untrustworthy sites" isn't enough any more. It seems more than a few seemingly trustworthy sources are bundling this stuff in with their otherwise legitimate downloads. Certainly, if you download stuff like MacKeeper, the probability is high that you'll get more than you expected, both in terms of adware and additional apps you don't need and that are intentionally difficult to uninstall. And if a web site offers a popup of a "necessary" browser plug-in? Don't click that pop-up. If it's a program from a well-known source (Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle...) go to the actual Adobe, Microsoft, or Oracle web sites for the download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.