Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Hey all!

I am considering purchasing a third party camera cover for my Studio Display but want to ensure it won't inhibit the ability to use True Tone.

Though I know Apple's protections on ensuring their cameras don't get turned on without user consent are strong, I often worry about user error (starting up Zoom and not being at my desk for a work meeting for example...). As a result, I have been considering purchasing a third party camera cover.

Has anyone else has done this yet and can confirm whether or not this will inhibit the True Tone abilities of the display?

I can't find any specifications to indicate where exactly sensor is, and therefore am unsure if I would lose that ability?

Last edited:

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I believe that its somewhere on the top left side of the monitor, although I can no longer find the video where this was stated. When it arrives you should be able to find it by shining a flashlight on the top bezel, it'll make it stand out.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Phrasing made it seem like it was at the mid point between the left edge and the webcam, so covering the cam *shouldn't* do anything. If its like the iPad it shows up as a small circle under a flashlight and considering the size of the screen it might be very hard to see.

KandiMountain

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2022
I can confirm there is a sensor in the top left corner of the bezel. I‘ve heard people test auto-brightness by covering that. Not sure if that same sensor would be used for true tone, but if it is, it‘s in a „safe“ distance from the camera.

kinghuang

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
I often use sticky notes to cover up cameras. Did this with my Studio Display yesterday, and it didn't affect True Tone or auto brightness.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Wonderful thanks so much. I did some more looking with a flashlight and see a orange/red (ish?) circle on the top left by the corner. Based on other folks descriptions here, I assume that this is the sensor.

I also tried something similar to @kinghuang and covered the camera then disabled and re-enabled true tone and it seemed to work fine, but it's good to know for sure that it isn't in the same location.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reactions: kinghuang

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Really good to know. I have this problem with my 16” MBP— covering the camera upsets the ambient light sensing. I guess it’s a result of packing all the tech into the notch. Glad the ASD doesn’t have the same limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.