Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
skullsplitter said:
are you trying to say that if a new iPod that can play video comes out my current video iPod is going to start getting called a fake video iPod?
No I think what people are looking for is a VGA resolution screen to go with the new VGA resolution content. Hopefully bigger then 2.5" too, and optimized for widescreen. Many people don't think that 320x240 video on a 2.5" screen is particularly compelling.

B

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Ellen Featured New Microsoft Zune Yesterday

Ellen Featured New Microsoft Zune Yesterday. She raved about loving it and gave everyone in the audience one. FM inside. Widescreen. Wireless Tune & File Sharing. Oh My God!

Ellen practically endorsed the Zune. To see that was heartbreaking for me. Only 30GB shown. The audience went NUTS when she told them they were all going to get one.

Apple cannot let this product own this product-type space. They have got to come out with a Zune Killer and by November at the latest. :eek:

Attachments

• 1Zune&Box.jpg
    1Zune&Box.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 2DoesAll.jpg
    2DoesAll.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 3ShareTracksFiles.jpg
    3ShareTracksFiles.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 4InHandTightShot.jpg
    4InHandTightShot.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 5AudienceFreakingOut.jpg
    5AudienceFreakingOut.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 143

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I had someone tell me the other day that my 5G iPod is not really a video iPod. They sited the fact that nowhere on Apple's web site do they even refer to it as a video iPod or iPod video. Does this mean that what I bought is truely not an iPod video?

Help me understand. I'm not sure what "true" video iPod means....bigger scream? Sure. But does that mean that the first model (5G) was something else?

Furze

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
I discovered a reason for the delay to the ipod video, Apple Computers have been designing Microsofts Toshiba Gigabeat, er, I mean Zune.

I hope they make a urine yellow version too.

(Since I posted this, they've corrected it to Microsoft, damn, there goes my theory.)

Attachments

• Zune ITune.jpg
    Zune ITune.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 286

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
brogers said:
I had someone tell me the other day that my 5G iPod is not really a video iPod. They sited the fact that nowhere on Apple's web site do they even refer to it as a video iPod or iPod video. Does this mean that what I bought is truely not an iPod video?

Help me understand. I'm not sure what "true" video iPod means....bigger scream? Sure. But does that mean that the first model (5G) was something else?

That's correct, the 5G iPod is referred to as the iPod (with video) - it is primarily a music player with some video functionality tacked on.

The "true" video iPod we are waiting on would be based around a larger, 16:9 widescreen and boast a new user interface more visual than before. The controls are likely to be touchscreen.

Bear-Max

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2006
Well as soon as Apple release the true iPod Video, I'll start buying videos from iTunes.

There's an incentive.

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
As soon as Apple releases this, what else can they make? I mean, a "true" touchscreen iPod must have everything Jobs can think of, right? I think the next thing for it could be the iPhone, but after that, it's like iPods can do everything! Of course, if Steve would add a built in keyboard and a Wireless iTunes Music Store, I'd be all over that!

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
i think a widescreen iPod would be kind of useless because it would only make the thing bigger and harder to get into your pocket... Like the Newton 2xxx lol

seriously unless it was a vertical screen hat you would turn on it's side the widescreen iPod would be to bulky.

Bear-Max

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2006
Sawtoothdude said:
i think a widescreen iPod would be kind of useless because it would only make the thing bigger and harder to get into your pocket... Like the Newton 2xxx lol

seriously unless it was a vertical screen hat you would turn on it's side the widescreen iPod would be to bulky.

That's pretty much what people are after, much like the Zune.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Sawtoothdude said:

Um.. it's been about 11 months since they released the iPod with Video. And then when they released the 2G nano, it got surprisingly THINNER (not by much, but still thinner than the old). Odds are, Apple's going to make the fullscreen iPods just as thin as their predecessors (30GB and 80GB's sizes, respectively), if not thinner (probably not, but not out of the apple realm of possibility).

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
CyberB0b said:
The widescreen iPod is inevitable. But it won't be until 2007.

I agree, How long as this rumor been going around? Since Jan 06? And we still have no more evidence that it is coming out soon as we did then. Price drops on the 5G iPods doesnt mean anything, it just means that they wanted to be competitive with MS Zune and components are cheaper to manufacture than they were a year ago. I mean seriously....we are still waiting on MBP updates lol

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
nickelbackmac said:
As soon as Apple releases this, what else can they make? I mean, a "true" touchscreen iPod must have everything Jobs can think of, right? I think the next thing for it could be the iPhone, but after that, it's like iPods can do everything! Of course, if Steve would add a built in keyboard and a Wireless iTunes Music Store, I'd be all over that!

Thats basically saying "technology is as good as it gets and wont be any better" 20 years ago the ultimate best technology was a 4mb hard drive the size of a room, and look where we are now. Something new will ALWAYS be out there.

FelixGV

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
The iPod will eventually become a PDA and then a full-fledged computer. Looking at the lack of laptop CPU updates, we can see what was the real purpose of going for energy-efficient intel CPUs... ;)

achie25

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
FelixGV said:
The iPod will eventually become a PDA and then a full-fledged computer. Looking at the lack of laptop CPU updates, we can see what was the real purpose of going for energy-efficient intel CPUs... ;)

That is exactly what I want. Also throw in the iphone capabilities as well and I will give my credit card a wrokout!!

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I was looking at the Sony Portable Reader System and it occurred to me that a widescreen video iPod could be perfect as an electronic book player (if this has been discussed earlier apologies in advance)...I'm yet to be convinced that there is mass interest in playing video off an iPod/Zune...I have videos on my iPod but rarely sit watching them when commuting to work..however to be able to 'read' an article or book while listening to music at the same time, THAT would be useful, for me anyway, and I suspect somewhat friendlier on battery life.
Vanilla

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
October

October, don't remeber the exact date but this October is the iPods fifth anniversary. I don't see a better release date than that. My guess is the 10th or the 17th. Mark your calendars.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Vanilla said:
I was looking at the Sony Portable Reader System and it occurred to me that a widescreen video iPod could be perfect as an electronic book player (if this has been discussed earlier apologies in advance)...I'm yet to be convinced that there is mass interest in playing video off an iPod/Zune...I have videos on my iPod but rarely sit watching them when commuting to work..however to be able to 'read' an article or book while listening to music at the same time, THAT would be useful, for me anyway, and I suspect somewhat friendlier on battery life.
Vanilla
Since syncing before you go out might be a bit of a pain intially, I think this is a must, but this is better suited to an iPhone for now. Read websites through GPRS and download eBooks directly onto your iPhone to read there and then.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Multimedia said:
Apple cannot let this product own this product-type space. They have got to come out with a Zune Killer and by November at the latest. :eek:
They already have a zune killer, it's called the 30GB iPod.

If you mean something closer to a true widescreen Video iPod, then it will cost more than the zune for a 30GB model, but will have many more features surely. The iPod and zune are near identical at the moment.

rafifreak00

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Kansas. No, not on a farm.
Macrumors said:

Thinksecret believes that Apple may be able to get its reported "true" video iPod out to production by October, and thus just in time for the holiday buying season. As has been expected, the new iPod would complement the existing lineup at the top-end rather than replacing any existing models. Thinksecret points to recent price drops as evidence that there is now room for the new model in Apple's lineup.

Thinksecret has reported in the past that the program has seen significant technical hurdles that forced a delay in launch. However, the source of this new information is labeled as unconfirmed, so a dash of salt is recommended.

I doubt it. I think the reason they dropped the price is actually because of the holiday season coming up. Plus, I remember Apple.. or someone.. sayng that the iPod is more focused on music than video or photos.

Just my two cents...

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
skullsplitter said:
What is going on here? Sure apple may be working on something advanced but are you trying to say that if a new iPod that can play video comes out my current video iPod is going to start getting called a fake video iPod? Do you really think Steve Jobs decided to just "try" the current iPod video to see if it would sell and just happen to get involved with disney randomly?

Well he didnt. And the video iPod is already released.

Maybe a thread titled "who can do the best mock up of a 6th gen iPod, or what features/capabilities it should have, or when it will be released" - But i'm sure there are hundreds of those threads already. No-one really predicted the new shuffle/nano line up, and now that new nano's are out, shall we call them the true nano, and the old ones fake nano's?

I could not agree more. I had a friend tell me that mine was not a real video iPod and it confused me. I posted this somewhere else, but I see others feel the same way. My 27" RCA is still a TV even though I bought a 46" HD last month. And I don't buy into the notion that just because it's not CALLED a video iPod on Apple's site or on the box, then it is not. It has music, video, calendar, contacts, games, poscasts, audio books and pictures. They have to call it just iPod because that is what it is....a pod holding my stuff.

My hat is off to Apple for releasing an iPod with a larger screen, touch controls and higher resolution, but I hardly think they have been pumping the current iPod as a music player that happens to play video (but not really) until they get an iPod that really plays video.....

poulon

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
Okay brogers, when people refer to the next iPod as the 'true' video iPod they aren't saying the current iPod is the 'fake' video iPod... Jobs himself explained that video playing has been an added feature to the iPod, he never has nor never will refer to it as the 'Video' iPod, it is only the iPod.. with video.

What I think people are trying to stress by calling it the 'true' video iPod is that it is more focused on video, as we do not need a full sized screen for music. My prediction is like the naming of the iPod Photo this new product will be called the iPod Video, and, just as the iPod Photo was, be a high-end, high-capacity media player flouting the new feature of a 3.5" 'touch' screen which has an extended battery life for video (and music, just as the iPod Photo did) over the current 80gb iPod. Of course, the price will also be at a premium.

But hey, I could be totally wrong and the iPod will see a 6th generation next year.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
iPod PRO
ipodpro.jpg

3" by 5.3" of wide screen with touch scren functionality. fire wire (#)/usb multi dock connector for tv,keyboard, computer interfacing. airport included for itv connectivity and web browsing. new ical iphoto calenders and photo sharing on the go. and im really excited about this... ilisten. if desired ipod pro's users partricipate in a mobile airtunes network, or hear what people are listening to as they walk by. the songs will be cached to the pro not saved so they can not come of the pod but do not expire. itunes links to the song are saved to the ipod pro for later purchase. icat mobil of course and all in november. thank you, thank you :D
odduwon :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.