Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which call blocking app do you prefer?

• Tried TrueCaller and was impressed.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Tried TrueCaller and wasn't impressed.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Tried Hiya and was impressed.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Tried Hita and wasn't impressed.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Tried both and they seem about equal.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Something else not mentioned.

• Neither, I have no need for spam call blocking

• Total voters

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'd like to know who is using which app for call blocking and robocall/spam call filtering for iOS 10? Which one did you choose and why?Does it work? Have you tried either or both? Are you happy?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Following...I have Hiya installed but at the moment not convinced it's doing much. I think someone from the company is here in this forum.
I'm in the same boat.

They are, and both companies are claiming that 10.1 will bring new versions of the app and improved levels of filtering.

The Hiya rep is @MayurKamat_Hiya
The TrueCaller rep is @kamranmamedi

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Quite surprised at 0 votes and no one weighing in. With the spam calls I get, I really thought more users would be taking advantage of CallKit apps. Did not expect this.

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
The poll assumes that people have tried both but for me I have only downloaded TruCaller because I don't want to give Hiya access to my contacts and also being UK based, I presumed TruCaller would be better suited.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The poll assumes that people have tried both but for me I have only downloaded TruCaller because I don't want to give Hiya access to my contacts and also being UK based, I presumed TruCaller would be better suited.
Good point. I've altered the poll options. Hopefully this is better suited for people's experiences.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I tried Hiya before 10.1, and it seemed to have a less than 50% hit rate on spam calls. Trying truecaller now, but have not yet had any spam calls.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I used Hiya before the 10.1 update, but it didn't give me caller id on the lock screen. I believe it will start to do that now. Because of that I'm not sure how accurate it was at identifying spam because I didn't bother to look up each number afterwards.

Will see how it works now, I think the 10.1 update offered a fix that allows them to show caller id on the lockscreen. I'm also curious to know if TrueCaller is any better.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Here's my experience with both apps.

HiYa - Been using it since updating to iOS 10 and it mostly worked. Since updating to iOS 10.1 though, if Hiya is disabled under the "Call Blocking and Identification" setting, if won't re-enable until the app is removed and reinstalled.

TrueCaller - I had it installed, primarily because it adds a share to quickly look up numbers. It updated yesterday and claims to now support Callkit, but it doesn't show up under "Call Blocking and Identification". The app actually continuously crashed when I tried to run it. I tried removing it, restarting my phone and adding it again. Now it doesn't crash, but it still doesn't show up. As such I can't recommend it, since it doesn't work.

Reactions: willmtaylor

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Seems like Hiya specifically mentioned in their recent update that it's not a requirement.

Yes, however if you don't provide access to contacts, it does not block calls. What was the purpose of the app again?

Reactions: MacUserUK

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I probably get a spam call once every other day, and I've yet to see any evidence that Hiya does anything at all.

I've even looked up the numbers afterwards in Hiya, and they've already been reported as spam. Thinking about deleting app.

@MayurKamat_Hiya , will the app ever work as promised?

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
@willmtaylor

Install Truecaller. Except from the Callkit extension list we also create our own contact named "spam" which is populated by Truecallers community and contains the top spammers in your region.

You should be pretty covered with Truecaller.

Best,
Kamran

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@willmtaylor

Install Truecaller. Except from the Callkit extension list we also create our own contact named "spam" which is populated by Truecallers community and contains the top spammers in your region.

You should be pretty covered with Truecaller.

Best,
Kamran
IVe considered but hesitate bc your AppStore reviews are awful. Filled with many saying the app is completely broken as of late.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I probably get a spam call once every other day, and I've yet to see any evidence that Hiya does anything at all.

I've even looked up the numbers afterwards in Hiya, and they've already been reported as spam. Thinking about deleting app.

@MayurKamat_Hiya , will the app ever work as promised?

You may be running into the same problem I did where none of my call ID apps worked. I needed to do a backup, erase all setting and content and then restore the backup to get things working.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi,

Hope all is good with you.

A backup reset is not necessarily needed. I have followed up with "X" amount of users and it seems to be working fine without it.
Then of course if any of you still have issues then we would have to investigate it as soon as possible. Just ping me :)

Best,
Kamran @Truecaller

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You may be running into the same problem I did where none of my call ID apps worked. I needed to do a backup, erase all setting and content and then restore the backup to get things working.
So all I have to do is take the time and energy to reset and restore my entire phone, and then 1 app will work? Fantastic. :rolleyes:

;)o_O:D

Seriously though, I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

thyttel

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
Hi!

I will not argue with you on that but there has been fixes in between and is working fine today so you should give it a chance :)

Enjoy,
Kamran @ Truecaller

Really? I've got it installed and not seen true caller actually do anything yet? Caller ID or spam blocking completely absent from working!

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
So all I have to do is take the time and energy to reset and restore my entire phone, and then 1 app will work? Fantastic. :rolleyes:

;)o_O:D

Seriously though, I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

It's an IOS bug so you can try waiting it out and seeing if Apple fixes it at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.