Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I was on a boat and apparently water hit my iPhone causing the Apple logo to shut down and repeat itself
I came home and opened the iPhone, disconnected the battery and dry it with fan, I tried to turn on again and it worked.

but now my Face ID is disabled because " a problem was detected with the TrueDepth camera.

there is any way to fix it?

can I use this whole pard from another iPhone X?

thanks

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It can be replaced, but the vast majority of people and repair shops can't do it. You would need to burn the data from the original TrueDepth camera flex cable to the new cable.

If you're in SE Asia, this is a relatively cheap fix because of wide availability of parts and service. Anywhere else, the cost is prohibitive.

maorattias

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2019
It can be replaced, but the vast majority of people and repair shops can't do it. You would need to burn the data from the original TrueDepth camera flex cable to the new cable.
if I just replace it without burning any data? is it possible?
will it work?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
where can I buy the product that burn data?

You need to remove a chip from the original Face ID module, install it in the new module. Then program the flex cable.

When I said it was cost prohibitive in areas outside SE Asia, I meant it. Most shops are not going to do this and people at home don't have the skills.

Reactions: brucemr

x-man

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
London
My FaceID is disabled now - not sure exactly why as I havent dropped the phone or had any water exposure. Went to my local apple store in the UK and they quoted me approx £180 for the replacement of the Truedepth sensor (iPhone 12 Pro).

Another interesting thing was that the Genius offered a trade in alternative. I havent considered that but to give me a price they run a remote test on the phone, then he quoted me £230 for trade in - my phone is in good condition and 89% battery health so that was the max they offered for this series so the FaceID issue does not have any impact in the valuation - the Genius knew that and mentioned it while running the test...

Just for guidance, I found TrueDepth repairs offered by the iDoctorUK (£79) and iSmash (£229!).

I havent decided what to do yet but is painful to have to use the pin to unlock constantly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.