Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

But30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I am moving from pc to mac. Can some one advice
if 15" MBA release is expected this year.
Or when will be the next update on current
MBP? And what do you expect in the updates.
Thank you

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Of course apple is very secretive about product releases, but I think that there will never be a 15Macbook Air. If you are looking for a 15" ultraportable, you don't seem to need an ultraportable at all.

As for the updates to the current MBAs...check the buyers guide tab!
Product: MacBook Air
Recommendation: Buy Now! - Product just updated
Last Release: June 08, 2009
Days Since Update: 46 (Avg = 255)
From the buyers guide
-Omi

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
There will not be a 15" MBA, it's a stupid concept, if it's sole purpose is to be ultra portable, why give it a 15" screen...

Any updates will be spec bumps to newer processors, doubt you'll see anything more exciting than that... Time frame is unknown, but before the holidays is more than likely.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Like others have said a 15" MBA makes absolutely no sense, people dont buy MBA's for their computing power they buy it for portability. give it a 15" footprint and you take that away. now you have a 15" laptop underpowered and even though its thin not really comfortable to carry around.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The Air is Apple's vision of the future for laptops. You can expect to see the Macbook Pro to adopt some of the Air's design when the technology allows but the Air itself is going to remain as small as Steve Jobs believes it can get without sacrificing usability. (13.3" screen and full size keyboard)

But30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Mac book pro

I am moving from pc to mac. Can some one advice
if 15" MBA release is expected this year.
Or when will be the next update on current
MBP? And what do you expect in the updates.
Thank you

Thank you guys for the advice. is Mac book pro is good for money?
any update expected on Mac book pro? Is it a good time to buy now or a bit later.
Thank you.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
any update expected on Mac book pro? Is it a good time to buy now or a bit later.
Thank you.

The current line of Mac notebooks is pretty competitive. Just about a month ago, there was the addition of an SD card slot. That means there won't be any more updates/refreshes/revisions for at least half year.

But30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Mba

Thank you.

Does the glossy display distracts a lot on the airplane or at work?
What's the update cycle in these mac books?
Does battery last 7hours?
Since this is my first mac it's really confusing?
Thanks for helping to make the right decesion.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

1.) I'm fine with the glossy screen, it's a matter of opinion.
2.) See the buyers guide, tab at the top of the screen
3.) I normally only get 5-6
4.) Try visiting an Apple Store if you got one around you

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007

I don't think the glossy is a huge problem when indoors...I have not used the glass on the laptops, but I have the glass iMac and its fine.

And yes the battery really does last 7 hours!

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Go to your local apple store, and they should be able to make your switch easy

cwfrederick

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
not correct

Of course apple is very secretive about product releases, but I think that there will never be a 15Macbook Air. If you are looking for a 15" ultraportable, you don't seem to need an ultraportable at all.

As for the updates to the current MBAs...check the buyers guide tab!
From the buyers guide
-Omi

there will definitely be a 15" MBA, and probably a 17". apple has no reason not to make them. most people dont need a very powerful computer so it makes sense that they'll make a more expensive computer to accommodate those people (it will also make their MBP counterparts seem relatively cheaper). a 15" MBA may not be portable compared to a 13" but it would be noticeably more portable than a 15" MBP. portability is NOT 100% dependent on footprint. why is everybody so myopic about this concept??

id bet money that we'll see bigger MBA's as early as this fall, so they can start selling them before the tablet comes out

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
there will definitely be a 15" MBA, and probably a 17". apple has no reason not to make them. most people dont need a very powerful computer so it makes sense that they'll make a more expensive computer to accommodate those people (it will also make their MBP counterparts seem relatively cheaper). a 15" MBA may not be portable compared to a 13" but it would be noticeably more portable than a 15" MBP. portability is NOT 100% dependent on footprint. why is everybody so myopic about this concept??

id bet money that we'll see bigger MBA's as early as this fall, so they can start selling them before the tablet comes out

I think it would be more useful and profitable for apple to just make steadily thinner MBPs...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't understand why anyone would say a 15" MBA is stupid. I think a 15" MBA type Mac notebook is obvious and inevitable... The future of the MacBook is the current MBA. Apple is definitely moving towards an optical drive-less Mac notebook lineup. I believe initially Apple will include external optical drives with its thin and lightweight MacBooks for those who want the optical drive. But overall, optical drives take up way too much space and add weight. A thin MacBook in several sizes has to be in the future for Macs, and the MBA is the inspiration and vision right there for us all to see.

Anyone who has used an MBA (rev B or newer) can definitely see the value and fun derived from the Mac often criticized by others. It is extremely capable and far more fun than its bigger counterparts.

It may not be called a MacBook Air when it arrives, but a 15" MBA-style Mac notebook is definitely on the way. It makes a world of sense to anyone that has used an MBA.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I don't understand why anyone would say a 15" MBA is stupid. I think a 15" MBA type Mac notebook is obvious and inevitable... The future of the MacBook is the current MBA. Apple is definitely moving towards an optical drive-less Mac notebook lineup. I believe initially Apple will include external optical drives with its thin and lightweight MacBooks for those who want the optical drive. But overall, optical drives take up way too much space and add weight. A thin MacBook in several sizes has to be in the future for Macs, and the MBA is the inspiration and vision right there for us all to see.

Anyone who has used an MBA (rev B or newer) can definitely see the value and fun derived from the Mac often criticized by others. It is extremely capable and far more fun than its bigger counterparts.

It may not be called a MacBook Air when it arrives, but a 15" MBA-style Mac notebook is definitely on the way. It makes a world of sense to anyone that has used an MBA.

agreed,

macbook air is a futuristic design that every macbook will entail, the unibody's are just a carry over case until apple and design the hardware into the macbook air chassis.

from opening the macbook air i can easily see a discreet video card being on there in a 15" size, cooling in the macbook air could have been designed much better using larger mass heatsink or a mini heatpipe running into the bottom of the case to dissipate heat.

im sure there are engineer's apple has hired to figure out that stuff...sometimes the dumb guys have better solutions :p.

i like the macbook air alot, its thin and fast i would buy a 15" version in a second, apple cannot release one because they will not get it at a price range people can afford.

But30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Decion to buy MBA or MBP

After reading the last two quotes, it seems like they really beleive that
there will definately larger MBA. Should I wait or just buy MBP?
When you expect the updated MBA?
I don't need to buy right away but don't want to wait too long as well.
Need some more advice to reach the final decsion.
Thanks

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Thanks

Waiting on new technology is pointless. If you need a computer now, buy what suits your needs. These threads have been posted 100x listing the pro's and con's of the MBA vs the MBP. If USB ports/DVD drive, battery life and processing power are top of your list go MBP. If you want portability for traveling go MBA.

The MBA will not show up as a 15" or 17" model in it's current form factor for one reason. The hinge would break day one trying to support a larger screen. Not to mention the amount of flex would be even worse in the larger screens, won't happen. If they figure out a cross between a MBA and a MBP with the MBP style hinge, glass trackpad and better heat distribution then maybe.

I know there are plenty of MBA fanatics to tell you MBA is the only laptop you will ever need. The fact that you didn't already know the MBA was the "one" indicates you probably hesitated for the right reasons. I have owned the Rev B 1.86/SSD of the MBA and yes it was "fun" to use, but I use my laptop when I'm on the road in a hotel room and watch alot of online/streaming content. The MBA did "ok" but struggles with HD content, runs hot and the fans going full blast is very annoying to me. The speaker is muffled out by the fans. General computing tasks were fine but it didn't meet all my needs, hence my move to the new 13" MBP. Best choice for me by far. Here is a list that finally made sense to me and made the decision easy.

Battery life - MBP give or take 2+ hours longer than the air.
Screen Hinge - MBP 100x better hinge, better placement of fan vents.
Heat/Fan noise - MBP even with HD streams rarely goes over 3000 RPM.
Storage - MBP (expandable, can put SSD in it as well)
Ram - MBP (expandable)
Ports - MBP - FW 800 and SD slot very useful for me.
DVD - MBP/MBA ( Not really needed as you have remote install/external )
Trackpad - MBP (after using the glass MBP trackpad the MBA just feels cheap, it works fine, just don't like it)

Overall I couldn't ignore how I use a laptop and the new 13" MBP has had the upgrade to the screen and battery + backlit keyboard to make it a great machine.

My first move to the MBA was because the first 13" UMB had a horrible screen and no backlit keyboard, after learning more about it I was willing to deal with it until the improvements to the 13" UMB (now the UMBP) came out.

Good Luck with your choice.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Thanks

they are coming out with a bigger MBA? that doesn't make sense at all

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Waiting on new technology is pointless. If you need a computer now, buy what suits your needs. These threads have been posted 100x listing the pro's and con's of the MBA vs the MBP. If USB ports/DVD drive, battery life and processing power are top of your list go MBP. If you want portability for traveling go MBA.

The MBA will not show up as a 15" or 17" model in it's current form factor for one reason. The hinge would break day one trying to support a larger screen. Not to mention the amount of flex would be even worse in the larger screens, won't happen. If they figure out a cross between a MBA and a MBP with the MBP style hinge, glass trackpad and better heat distribution then maybe.

I know there are plenty of MBA fanatics to tell you MBA is the only laptop you will ever need. The fact that you didn't already know the MBA was the "one" indicates you probably hesitated for the right reasons. I have owned the Rev B 1.86/SSD of the MBA and yes it was "fun" to use, but I use my laptop when I'm on the road in a hotel room and watch alot of online/streaming content. The MBA did "ok" but struggles with HD content, runs hot and the fans going full blast is very annoying to me. The speaker is muffled out by the fans. General computing tasks were fine but it didn't meet all my needs, hence my move to the new 13" MBP. Best choice for me by far. Here is a list that finally made sense to me and made the decision easy.

Battery life - MBP give or take 2+ hours longer than the air.
Screen Hinge - MBP 100x better hinge, better placement of fan vents.
Heat/Fan noise - MBP even with HD streams rarely goes over 3000 RPM.
Storage - MBP (expandable, can put SSD in it as well)
Ram - MBP (expandable)
Ports - MBP - FW 800 and SD slot very useful for me.
DVD - MBP/MBA ( Not really needed as you have remote install/external )
Trackpad - MBP (after using the glass MBP trackpad the MBA just feels cheap, it works fine, just don't like it)

Overall I couldn't ignore how I use a laptop and the new 13" MBP has had the upgrade to the screen and battery + backlit keyboard to make it a great machine.

My first move to the MBA was because the first 13" UMB had a horrible screen and no backlit keyboard, after learning more about it I was willing to deal with it until the improvements to the 13" UMB (now the UMBP) came out.

Good Luck with your choice.

Honestly, I think that the MBA is a better all around choice as a laptop. If someone needs more capabilities than a rev C MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU, Nvidia 9400m GPU, 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM, 128 GB SSD, LIGHTWEIGHT, and beautiful display, they should probably buy a Mac Pro...

Ok, maybe not really, but the point here is that as a "portable" laptop computer, the MBA is really extremely portable and yet still very capable and powerful... enough so for the "average" Mac user.

So maybe the MBP is "more powerful" but the MBA still wins most decisions in my thought process. The bottom line is that my MBA does EVERYTHING I need it to and more. It works as both my business and personal entertainment Mac, flawlessly. It is rock solid and extremely lightweight and fun. I enjoy carrying around what feels like a few magazines as my Mac... instead of the seemingly extremely heavy MBPs...

But30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I hope they come out with the 15".MBA
it will be an excellent potable large notebook.

mhbethany

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009

The first 13" UMB had a backlit keyboard in the upgraded options. Also, how can anyone say the screen is horrible? I've used it and it's been a great screen - better than any PC laptop I've had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.