Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
What are your thoughts?

The reviews are bad but I decided to give the show a chance. Little did I know that it would be this bad. It’s really lazy written and it’s a shame good actors are on it. Don’t they read the script or are they so desperate that they take anything?

Two blatant examples of awful lazy writing:

How come the police/investigation didn’t find out Warren’s mother was having an affair with the guy who got murdered back in 1999? 20 years later, a couple of questions is all it took to uncover it.

The aunt dies in a car crash and her niece’s iPhone escapes unscathed and without code/Touch ID enabled. A former cop steals it from the scene and gives it to Poppy. She can now trace the whereabouts of the “missing” twin sister she was looking for. How convenient!

Also, it’s kind of hard to believe that someone who used her influence as a journalist to put a teenager in jail (and advance her career) now firmly believes he’s innocent. And that without any convincing evidence to support her claim other than a video that popped up out of thin air.

The list goes on.

Apple better choose more carefully the shows they invest in. This one is on par with Netflix’s average show: lame.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinacef

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I’ve been watching it as well and I couldn’t agree more with your assessment that it’s pretty bad and implausible!

Reactions: rmoliv

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am having a hard time connecting with the main actress. She might think she is doing god’s work by helping a clear an innocent man who has been locked away for a murder he did not commit, but the manner in which she goes about it just rubs me the wrong way. She basically takes everyone around her for granted and expects them to just give in to her or go out of their ways to help her without one iota of thanks or appreciation.

Reactions: zinacef and rmoliv

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This one is on par with Netflix’s average show: lame.

I believe that you’re right. But since I’m always a fan of crime films and novels and this is the kind of shows I chose to watch on Netflix, I enjoy this one. The Show has no subtlety but I enjoy it nonetheless because of the genre. (Even though I can’t imagine anyone would want to listen to Poppy’s podcast because her voice just .. made me sleepy rather than getting my attention)

And for the record, my pick for the true killer is
either one of the twin, or Warren Cave himself. (the son, not the father) ?

Reactions: zinacef and rmoliv

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i have mixed emotions with this show. Some stuff definitely leaves you scratching your head and a lot of things are predictable. But with 4 episodes in, i might as well finish it.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I believe that you’re right. But since I’m always a fan of crime films and novels and this is the kind of shows I chose to watch on Netflix, I enjoy this one. The Show has no subtlety but I enjoy it nonetheless because of the genre. (Even though I can’t imagine anyone would want to listen to Poppy’s podcast because her voice just .. made me sleepy rather than getting my attention)

I think the premise to the story is interesting and I too love a good murder mystery. The problem with this show is the way they are writing it. Too many deus ex machina and implausible events. The story would have benefitted from some character development from the time the trial took place, to better understand, for instance, Poppy's motives back then and now. Her sudden change of opinion regarding the conviction just seems too forced. But anyway, as to the killer, there aren't many options, either one of the twins, Warren or his father.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think the premise to the story is interesting and I too love a good murder mystery. The problem with this show is the way they are writing it. Too many deus ex machina and implausible events. The story would have benefitted from some character development from the time the trial took place, to better understand, for instance, Poppy's motives back then and now. Her sudden change of opinion regarding the conviction just seems too forced. But anyway, as to the killer, there aren't many options, either one of the twins, Warren or his father.

All signs point to the dad being the killer. I suspect Warren is actually the illegitimate child of his mom and the man she had the affair with, which is why his dad had no compunctions about provoking a damning testimony. Because Warren is not his natural son.

Doesn’t seem much of a murder mystery. The rest of the show seems to be about gathering enough evidence to indict him.

I am not sure what role the two sisters are supposed to play exactly. How many episodes is the show again?

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
This is what I've read online as to the killer -- apparently the series is based on Kathleen Barber's novel titled Are You Sleeping. Although the series has strayed a bit from the novel so far, according to the novel, it was Erin Buhrman that killed her husband. It remains to be seen whether the series adheres to the novel or strays from it.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This is what I've read online as to the killer -- apparently the series is based on Kathleen Barber's novel titled Are You Sleeping. Although the series has strayed a bit from the novel so far, according to the novel, it was Erin Buhrman that killed her husband. It remains to be seen whether the series adheres to the novel or strays from it.

Well, that is a good call too. ?

I never believe Warren’s dad will be the killer. It’s just too obvious. Too easy.

Reactions: zinacef

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I couldn’t get into this show really. Not bothered about episode 4+. The way it’s written is a bit slow to develop and doesn’t grip you

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
I don’t think the dad is the killer. Too easy, too predictable.

My bet is on one of the twins, Erin (the wife).

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Oddly, I feel as if the last two episodes, they are 'rushing' to finish the series. Well, I guess time will tell...🤦‍♂️

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

So I was correct. ?

I think both the leading actress and her investigator/ex-police are miscasted. I don’t get their romantic relationship at all.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not really feeling this one. The first of ATV+ that I'm not especially drawn to. Granted I'm only two episodes into it, but there's something missing for me. I'm not sure if some roles are miscast or if the material just isn't good enough to keep everyone engaged, but I do know I'm not particularly interested in anything going on. It doesn't feel authentic at all.

I will continue and give it a further chance, but I was clock-watching at the end of the second episode, which isn't a good sign. So far, for me, this is the weakest of the Apple TV+ shows.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I will continue and give it a further chance, but I was clock-watching at the end of the second episode, which isn't a good sign. So far, for me, this is the weakest of the Apple TV+ shows.

For me, the show doesn’t quite evoke that sense of victory when the perpetrator is finally brought to justice.

The dad and mom are dead, the son is out of prison and his own mini redemption arc, and the sister committing the murder felt like lazy writing to me. And the way she gave herself up to a wiretap also felt like the writers just wanted to wrap up the whole story fast.

Just feels like the cost paid was just too high. Granted, the family was dysfunctional in its own way, and the members were no angels themselves. Maybe that’s the ambiguity Apple was going for?

Blues_Messiah

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Wow. Just binged the first season and glad to see so many on board with my own reaction. I've liked everything on Apple+ so far and really liked the actors on this one, but it was terribly written. It is almost like it should have been a comedy - every single episode we get the "brilliant sleuth" declaring "I KNOW you did it!", only to be wrong - EVERY SINGLE TIME. And not, "I think" or "I believe", but "I KNOW, and I'm going to take you down." Even in the end she was wrong - she would have STILL put the wrong person in prison if the real murderer hadn't broken down and confessed. And then Ms. "The only thing that matters to me is the truth" does a complete 180 and tries to get the one sister to lie about murdering her father. Even in her last podcast, it never shows her telling the truth, but allowing the sisters to lie and blame it on the mother. All this BS about "Truth Be Told" - in the end, their hero has zero integrity. Even if this first season did well, how the hell could there be a Season 2 when the whole premise that they sold the show on - an investigator who truly only cares about the truth - is an absolute fraud?

Blues_Messiah

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
For me, the show doesn’t quite evoke that sense of victory when the perpetrator is finally brought to justice.

The dad and mom are dead, the son is out of prison and his own mini redemption arc, and the sister committing the murder felt like lazy writing to me. And the way she gave herself up to a wiretap also felt like the writers just wanted to wrap up the whole story fast.

Just feels like the cost paid was just too high. Granted, the family was dysfunctional in its own way, and the members were no angels themselves. Maybe that’s the ambiguity Apple was going for?
The entire premise of the show was "This is a no-nonsense sleuth who only cares about finding the truth - regardless of what that is." Yet, every single episode she declared "I KNOW you did it!" and was wrong. In fact, she never did figure it out - the sister broke down and confessed or she would have NEVER gotten it. And then Ms. "Truth is the only thing that matters to me" tries to convince the one sister to lie, and then never does tell the truth on own podcast even when the sisters are lying about mom being the true murderer. In the end, the only thing to "be told" was another lie. This was so bad it makes me angry I wasted my time on it.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I watched the whole season and I agree with others, this must be the worst show on Apple Tv +. It's a shame because there's so many talented actors but they need better writers. I hope there's no second season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.