Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

do you think apple should have a try before you buy option for app?

• yes

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
A lot of apps have free "lite" versions available.

It's up to the developer rather than Apple.
Personally I like it the way it is. It stops me from loading my iPhone full of crap.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A lot of apps have free "lite" versions available.

It's up to the developer rather than Apple.
Personally I like it the way it is. It stops me from loading my iPhone full of crap.

The Lite version thing is, but Apple explicitly prevent us from creating time-limited demos or the like that could enable a try-before-you-buy thing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The Lite version thing is, but Apple explicitly prevent us from creating time-limited demos or the like that could enable a try-before-you-buy thing.

Ah, I didn't know Apple did that. But the rest of my post still stands.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Indeed. I think the Android idea might work: you get 24 hours to try it and can return it within that time.

Yes, but at the end of the 24 hours is it set up to pay if you haven't returned the app. Like trial periods on subscription type sites?

That would be bad news for me as I'll never remember I'm trying out an app.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yes, but at the end of the 24 hours is it set up to pay if you haven't returned the app. Like trial periods on subscription type sites?

That would be bad news for me as I'll never remember I'm trying out an app.

I don't really know. I assume that they put a charge into the accounting system that doesn't actually trigger for 24 hours. If your return it they cancel it, otherwise they charge. Apple already charge you later than you actually buy as they try and batch payments to minimise transaction charges. So they could do this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.