Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I heard this in a YT video and just tried it. Simply remove your light seal and put your VP on. Sure tons of light bleed but boy oh boy the FOV! It's an amazing sneak peak into what it will feel like in later generations when the FOV is improved.

The crazy thing is that I could probably see myself using the VP like this today already. It's not too uncomfortable. In fact I think I prefer it when the entire weight of the VP rests on my nose, right between the eyes, rather than my cheeks. I'd need some attachment to make it a little bit softer on that spot but other than that, it works really well and solves the tunnel vision effect.

Try it yourself and let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Wonder if we’ll see a third party solution with an ultra thin light seal to accomplish a more comfortable way of doing this.

Reactions: Ghost31

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yeah I had the same thought, would not be surprised
I’m wondering if there’s a reason Apple hadn’t done this. Something like just the thickness of the light seal cushion or a little more than that.

I played with mine for the first time last night for a few hours and I did get some eye strain. Nothing too serious. Did you notice any or worsening eye strain having the unit that much closer to your face?

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I’m wondering if there’s a reason Apple hadn’t done this. Something like just the thickness of the light seal cushion or a little more than that.

I played with mine for the first time last night for a few hours and I did get some eye strain. Nothing too serious. Did you notice any or worsening eye strain having the unit that much closer to your face?
I've only had it that close for a short time but noticed after a while that the image is not as sharp. It might not be great to use it like that long term but I still think it's interesting to experience the increased FOV.

Btw I experienced a lot of eye strain when using the VP (as intended with the light seal on) for prolonged periods of time.

Reactions: Itinj24

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
How did it affect the accuracy of what you see for real versus with the headset? In other words, if something in your room appeared to you to be 37 degrees to the left, would the modified headset also show that item 37 degrees to the left?

David

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023

Most probably to give the OpticID and gaze tracking the best chance of working.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Most probably to give the OpticID and gaze tracking the best chance of working.
Makes sense. This is my first experience with VR of any kind. The goggles effect doesn’t bother me at all but that along with the reduced FOV seems to be one of the major complaints among many users.

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
Makes sense. This is my first experience with VR of any kind. The goggles effect doesn’t bother me at all but that along with the reduced FOV seems to be one of the major complaints among many users.

Consumer hardware is a world of compromise, I'm quite sure that this and better passthrough will be the main marketing points for AVP2

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Consumer hardware is a world of compromise, I'm quite sure that this and better passthrough will be the main marketing points for AVP2
Ya see, the pass through is fine for me also. I don’t plan on doing anything surgical with it. Just need it to be able to see my surroundings. I was able to successfully navigate my house, go to the bathroom, get a drink, etc. I get it, the marketing videos portrayed it as something much better than it really is but realistically, it’s somewhere around where I expected it.

Reactions: Flowstates
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.