Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I have a MacBook Air, an iPhone 5C and an iPhone 8. My MacBook Air and the iPhone 5C were synched and both connected to iCloud so that some data (not sure what all) would be saved on both. Purchased a new iPhone 8, and now have it synched with the MacBook Air, so that it saves stuff, too.

I am now planning to get rid of the iPhone 5C. I want to delete personal info, contacts, passwords, photos, etc from the iPhone 5C so that it is "clean" to give away. What I DO NOT want to happen is to accidentally end up deleting things that are synched to the MacBook Air and the iPhone 8, or to iCloud. Perhaps more simply stated, I want to "disconnect" my iPhone 5C from the chain without loosing anything on the other links.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you do a "restore" on the iPhone and not a "restore from backup", at that point the iPhone won't be connected to any of your stuff and synced stuff cannot be affected.

The last "cleaning" step would be to eliminate the device from your iCloud settings on the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.