Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Can you tell me please how to hook up DVD to Samsung Smart TV? I connected the cable from the DVD player to HDMI 1 in back of the Samsung TV, but with the Source button on the Samsung remote, it doesn't let me select input sources. It just says TV, PC on TV, Connection Guide, Universal Remote." There must be a way to toggle input sources! Thank you for any thoughts / replies. Happy Halloween.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
When I went to troubleshooting guide on the Samsung smart TV, it says it doesn't even see the DVD player. Could it be too old a player or something? I tried connecting to both HDMI inputs, HDMI 1, and HDMI 2 ARC.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I have a 2018 Samsung Smart TV. The HDMI inputs don't show on the Sources screen until the TV detects there's a device connected to it.

I'm guessing either your DVD player is broken or your cable is bad. Also, make sure you're using the HDMI OUT port on the DVD player if there are multiple ports. Some have an HDMI IN for passthrough.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I have a 2018 Samsung Smart TV. The HDMI inputs don't show on the Sources screen until the TV detects there's a device connected to it.

I'm guessing either your DVD player is broken or your cable is bad. Also, make sure you're using the HDMI OUT port on the DVD player if there are multiple ports. Some have an HDMI IN for passthrough.
Thank you for responding. Yeah it wouldn't even see it. The DVD player doesn't have HDMI out, I have a cable that's RCA to HDMI. Could it be that's the issue? Too old a player for the smart TV to see it?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I recommend just buying a brand new DVD player with HDMI. Just from a visual quality standpoint. They are cheap and easy to find. But as far as your TV I know that our new Samsung smart TV has a menu that pops up that includes all the apps and a button for inputs. But as the other person says it won’t show the other input available unless it detects signal. Also, it takes its time to figure out what type of device is connected to it. so I’m guessing the one that says PC is the correct one as it’s recognizing the converter box as a PC, which can happen, depending on what type of video signal it’s putting out.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
When I read #4, I thought you had been scammed with the RCA to HDMI product. But on checking, I see that there is such a thing. A DVD player with analog out seems like something that shouldn't exist out of (industry) fear of piracy. Part of HDMI's job is a "secure" connection end-to-end. However, I guess I'm not remembering a time when DVD players had analog video out. If so, I would guess that it is downscaling the quality of the DVD video to approx. VCR quality, which may have been some compromise to offer analog video on a DVD player.

Update: on a search, I see that very early DVD players DID have analog out and S-Video was the best quality it would offer (which was a notch down from DVD quality but a notch above VCR quality, sometimes called SVHS or SuperVHS).

I do remember an in-between time where they had what is known a component video. That used the same kinds of jacks but outputted video in a different way (5 individual cable strands instead of 3, with 3 supporting the video portion of the signal). If you perhaps have an HDMI dongle expecting component but are delivering composite or vice versa, that could explain why it is not working.

It looks like you need a new disc player. I suggest taking the big hop and getting yourself a 4K Blu Ray player so that you have the capability of playing everything from CD to 4K Blu Ray. These can be had for not a huge amount of money (below $200) and should work with all discs.

However, before you do that, take a look at the inputs on that Samsung and see if you can direct connect RCA-to-RCA instead of RCA-to-HDMI. There are MANY variations of 2018 "jack packs" on televisions. If your's looks like this one...

SamsungAnalog.jpg

...perhaps a direct connect to the AV IN 2 trio of jacks. If your DVD player has component, use AV IN 1 with 5 cables. Maybe if you keep it all analog, you can get the existing one to work. This is basically bypassing the RCA-to-HDMI dongle. If so, choose analog input on the Samsung and you may see your DVD video.

And, of course, if you tried only ONE HDMI input on the TV, you might at least try the other HDMI inputs just to rule out the one you tried perhaps not working.

Last edited:

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Great suggestions all, thank you guys. I don't think it was the PC input, or it would have shown up when I selected that. I think I may need to get him a DVD player with HDMI, makes sense. Thanks again, will try that and report back.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
There must be something wrong with your AV-to-HDMI adapter. I use a dirt-cheap box from china, to get my PS2 image and sound (stereo only!) into the HDMI of my TV, and it works like a charm.
I can switch it to 720p or 1080p output. Without analog signal into the RCA-s, it will show a blue screen. So you have immediate visual feedback.
PS what HDMI-to-RCA cable is it exactly? It can be the inverse cable - one that creates analog (RCA) output from the digital (HDMI) signal. As HDMI is a one-way-interface, it will not work both ways. That is the reason why aliexpress offers both AV2HDMI and HDMI2AV boxes, with input and output sides clearly labeled.
RCA->HDMI involves Analog-to-Digital conversion (ADC), whereas HDMI->RCA uses Digital-to-Analog (DAC) conversion.
Also, HDMI port can be either a signal source or sink, but not both.

Last edited:

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
There must be something wrong with your AV-to-HDMI adapter. I use a dirt-cheap box from china, to get my PS2 image and sound (stereo only!) into the HDMI of my TV, and it works like a charm.
I can switch it to 720p or 1080p output. Without analog signal into the RCA-s, it will show a blue screen. So you have immediate visual feedback.
PS what HDMI-to-RCA cable is it exactly? It can be the inverse cable - one that creates analog (RCA) output from the digital (HDMI) signal. As HDMI is a one-way-interface, it will not work both ways. That is the reason why aliexpress offers both AV2HDMI and HDMI2AV boxes, with input and output sides clearly labeled.
RCA->HDMI involves Analog-to-Digital conversion (ADC), whereas HDMI->RCA uses Digital-to-Analog (DAC) conversion.
Also, HDMI port can be either a signal source or sink, but not both.
Hey there, thank you for writing. It is this cable. RCA>HDMI. Do you think maybe the smart TV just won't see this adapter?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Hey there, thank you for writing. It is this cable. RCA>HDMI. Do you think maybe the smart TV just won't see this adapter?

That is an HDMI-to-RCA cable. You need an RCA-to-HDMI cable. They usually have a box and are powered, like the one priitv8 linked.

The description also states:

Please NOTE; Our HDMI to RCA cable is not compatible with PC / laptop / PS4/ PS3/ XBOX / DVD / ROKU; Before purchasing, please make sure both devices have signal coding and decoding function.Please read the product description carefully before purchasing, including the scope of application and precautions.This is a HDMI to RCA one-way transmission cable, RCA to HDMI cannot be used, which means the display device (TV or monitor) is the RCA[sic] end.

(I suppose it doesn't help that they goofed at the very end and said RCA instead of HDMI.)

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Um, well it worked logistically. By that I mean it connects back of DVD to HDMI on the TV. Why wouldn't that work?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
There are 2 different adapters. One is analog to digital, while the other is digital to analog. Both look identical, but functionally very different. You need an analog to digital converter. Or rca to hdmi, not hdmi to rca. Still a new dvd player will be a better choice as the cheapest ones I’ve seen are about double the price of just one of these adapters.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
There are 2 different adapters. One is analog to digital, while the other is digital to analog. Both look identical. You need an analog to digital converter. Or rca to hdmi, not hdmi to rca. Still a new dvd player will be a better choice.
I see. Do you think the cable might work?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Um, well it worked logistically. By that I mean it connects back of DVD to HDMI on the TV. Why wouldn't that work?
I'm surprised that particular cable is a thing and not entirely sure what it'd be used for. Some of the reviews are ridiculous too. Some say it worked when it shouldn't have. Others did say it didn't work, but still gave it 5 stars. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are paid reviews. (I've gotten bribed to leave good reviews from stuff I bought from random Chinese companies on Amazon.)

The reason why it doesn't work is because RCA carries analog signals and HDMI carries digital signals. You can't just remap the wires passively, as this cable seems to be doing. It needs a powered converter box to actively convert the analog signal to digital (or digital to analog if you were to go HDMI-to-RCA).

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I'm surprised that particular cable is a thing and not entirely sure what it'd be used for. Some of the reviews are ridiculous too. Some say it worked when it shouldn't have. Others did say it didn't work, but still gave it 5 stars. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are paid reviews. (I've gotten bribed to leave good reviews from stuff I bought from random Chinese companies on Amazon.)

The reason why it doesn't work is because RCA carries analog signals and HDMI carries digital signals. You can't just remap the wires passively, as this cable seems to be doing. It needs a powered converter box to actively convert the analog signal to digital (or digital to analog if you were to go HDMI-to-RCA).
Got it. I found some A/D cables, but maybe should just plan to get him a DVD player with HDMI out.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
That particular cable, no. Just buy a new dvd player and get the best quality from a DVD on your new 4K TV. All these adapters do OK quality at best. Plus you can’t take advantage of progressive, scan as RCA is only interlaced.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
That particular cable, no. Just buy a new dvd player and get the best quality from a DVD on your new 4K TV. All these adapters do OK quality at best. Plus you can’t take advantage of progressive, scan as RCA is only interlaced.
I think you're right. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.