Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomRimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I've been trying to convince myself that the iPad isnt practical for my needs as a web/graphic design/developer, and I'm failing....

My problem is I dont carry my laptop around atm because its just too heavy and cumbersome on public transport etc... I havn't bothered with a netbook as of yet as I didn't feel it was enough different from my laptop to warrant the cash, and tbh everyone I ever tried felt really cheap and plasticy.

Could somebody just clear up a couple of questions for me before I finally give in and say ok the iPad IS amazing and it will work for my lifestyle.

I want to be able to use it to take to client meetings pitches etc... Is there anyway currently or ever a way I would be able to load a local basic html/css/javascript website template onto it to view in safari or am I reliant on having a signal for the 3G, as its pretty weak in my area. (my iPhone rarely sees 3G) (Jailbroken even???)

Will I be able to use an after market stylus to handwrite notes and do sketches with clients and export them as a pdf or tiff/jpg etc...? Is there an app for that?? lol

Should I pay the extra for a 3G iPad now or should I buy a Mifi from 3 and save myself the cash?

Do you get GPS with the non 3G iPads as I would quite like to use it as a massive sat nav at some point, presuming there will be an iPad specific sat nav app soon or does one already exist?

Does anybody in the UK know of a good gadget/tech specific insurance policies as I can see me breaking it quite easily using public transport, flying quite a bit...

Thanks for all for time and efforts I really appreciate it

Thom

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
U can download penultimate(YouTube) for iPad. Greta for writing notes on the iPad. It does a great job allowing your finger to work like a real pen on real notebook paper.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
The answer is yes to it all, but not for the reason of a laptop being too heavy. If your livelihood depends on it, it can never be too heavy.

I would and do use it to augment my workflow not replace any other tools in it.

ThomRimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2010
The answer is yes to it all, but not for the reason of a laptop being too heavy. If your livelihood depends on it, it can never be too heavy.

I would and do use it to augment my workflow not replace any other tools in it.

Are you saying I would be able to load a folder onto it with some basic html/css/javascript/image files in it and view them in safari locally?

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Will I be able to use an after market stylus to handwrite notes and do sketches with clients and export them as a pdf or tiff/jpg etc...? Is there an app for that?? lol
You'll need a stylus specific to capitative touchscreens if you don't want to use your finger. Fortunately, there are some around; I've been considering trying one from 'Ten One': the Pogo Stylus / Sketch http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php
Sketch is like a pen with a built-in clip. Stylus is just a cylinder, more intended for iPhone with the associated separate clip holders.
Do you get GPS with the non 3G iPads as I would quite like to use it as a massive sat nav at some point, presuming there will be an iPad specific sat nav app soon or does one already exist?
No 'Proper' GPS; I'm quite bummed about that too! Going by all the discussions, it'll be able to approximate your location based on WiFi markers, but that's not going to help as a sat-nav.
I suppose it's partly 'cos without the 3G signal, there's not likely to be a connection usable by Google Maps to download the images. It'll probably be up to a third party to make a dongle for use with their dedicated mapping application instead.

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
ThomRimmer said:
Are you saying I would be able to load a folder onto it with some basic html/css/javascript/image files in it and view them in safari locally?

I found an app called Gusto which looks just the job. I haven't purchased it yet but will as soon as the need arises (6 quid), so can't give any 1st hand experiences, but basically it has a built in FTP client so you can point it to a server and download the files to edit HTML, PHP, Javascript & CSS, and preview locally with no Internet connection.

Have a look at this or on iTunes of course: http://www.macstories.net/ipad/gusto-review/

I'm a web designer / graphic designer too so think this will come in most handy at some point. It's not exactly Dreamweaver but does look rather slick!

There are some other apps that do similar such as 'Markup', 'HTML edit' and 'FTP on the Go Pro', but Gusto looks most complete.

Regarding GPS - I have a 3G but haven't actually 'signed up' for data yet. However, I am getting dead accurate location positioning already. Does this mean it's doing it over wifi or does enough of the 3G sim work even if I haven't activated a data plan yet?

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas

See above, but there are no 'folders' on iPad, the app in question would need to manage them. But You could also take screen shots and put them in a slide show. I know there are apps to FTP files to a server for maintaining a website as well as Wordpress and others.

ThomRimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I found an app called Gusto which looks just the job. I haven't purchased it yet but will as soon as the need arises (6 quid), so can't give any 1st hand experiences, but basically it has a built in FTP client so you can point it to a server and download the files to edit HTML, PHP, Javascript & CSS, and preview locally with no Internet connection.

Have a look at this or on iTunes of course: http://www.macstories.net/ipad/gusto-review/

I'm a web designer / graphic designer too so think this will come in most handy at some point. It's not exactly Dreamweaver but does look rather slick!

There are some other apps that do similar such as 'Markup', 'HTML edit' and 'FTP on the Go Pro', but Gusto looks most complete.

Regarding GPS - I have a 3G but haven't actually 'signed up' for data yet. However, I am getting dead accurate location positioning already. Does this mean it's doing it over wifi or does enough of the 3G sim work even if I haven't activated a data plan yet?

Thanks for this, it looks exactly what I'm looking for, and for £6 you cant complain for a native iPad app.

I'm not too fussed about the editing on the ipad its really just the download and preview locally without any connectivity that a desperately want.

When I go to client meetings I cant always get wifi and 3G signal is not so hot around where I live so being able to display their website (as long as its not db driven) on the iPad instead of carrying my laptop around will be amazing.

I think I'm still going to get a 3G one though as I still want the location aware functionality that I love about my iPhone.

Thanks again

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
There is no real reason to own an iPad and it will only do a fraction of what you laptop will BUT boy oh boy the iPad is amazing. :cool:

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK

The GPS and the 3G aren't the same thing. The GPS knows where you are but it needs a data or wifi signal to get a map to lay that location on to. So if you had an app like tom-tom for iPhone which has all of the maps already inside of it then you don't need a data connection for it to work.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Of you need this much convincing then I don't think you need one. You need a file system; not found on the iPad. You talk about weight, did your laptop get heavier the second the ipad came out? I doubt it. I simply don't believe in buying an ipad then buying a ton of apps just to get it to do what you need it to do. It seems like a giant waste of money.

The iPad is great but it's not going to replace a laptop when it's time to get down to business.

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
jessica. said:
Of you need this much convincing then I don't think you need one. You need a file system; not found on the iPad. You talk about weight, did your laptop get heavier the second the ipad came out? I doubt it. I simply don't believe in buying an ipad then buying a ton of apps just to get it to do what you need it to do. It seems like a giant waste of money.

The iPad is great but it's not going to replace a laptop when it's time to get down to business.

I disagree. It's one of the main reasons I bought it. True that the apps may not be as workflow friendly as full-blown laptop/desktop equivalents but I see it fitting in where convenience is more important. Example: I usually have a lot of informal meetings where I meet clients in a cafe so it's not easy to set up a laptop. My battery doesn't last long enough for starters and I can't plug it in to the mains. Also it's awkward swivelling the laptop around to show sites - think it's gonna be a lot more 'friendly' to hand the iPad over to them to pass around. Also the roaming Internet (when I activate it) will be really useful in those situations if it's fast enough!! I see your point but I'm a sucker for gadgets anyway and it isn't a waste of money to me ;)

@ThomRimmer: I thought, seeing as I'm going round recommending Gusto, that I should buy it and try it! :)
Got some more thoughts on it now. Firstly it's a very nice interface. Easy and intuitive and a nice look to it. Easy to set up the FTP connection (no activity log but it's hella fast connecting) and tag the files or folders you want a copy of locally. There is no progress bar for the downloads so you just have to leave it going for a while but it is fast. Once a site is downloaded you can preview a page locally and click around no problem. There's a button on each page to 'view this online' and it jumps to the live page which is nice.

As you noted you won't be able to run db sites but that got me thinking about how it will handle PHP include files... Not well unfortunately. I downloaded one of my more recent sites to test which makes extensive use of includes for headers, menus and repeating content but it won't display them so no way of navigating locally, or seeing the page correctly. It's not really a negative of Gusto per se as these things wouldn't work offline on my lappie either unless it was running a server type thing to handle PHP, but would be nice if they can add this in. I see they are planning updates so hopefully this app will keep improving. I'm impressed already though and do highly recommend it.

So in summary it's perfect for static sites and certainly usable in code view to fix emergencies on critical clients sites. Glad I got a 64 gb now - I KNEW there was a reason for it heheh !

toby23

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
I'm a graphic designer and swapped my laptop for an ipad on friday.

I use mine for presenting work (jpg, pdf, mp4, websites etc etc) and it works fine.

I use GoodReader to get the files onto it wirelessly and to present them.
The only, and it is the only problem that I have with GoodReader, is that it renders a grey/white checkered background for a split second before displaying each page.

If you copy the root folder of a website via ftp onto the ipad, you can open the index.html file and it will work fine as a local site. If you have links to remote images in your code, you won't be able to see them without an internet connection.

Happy hunting.

ThomRimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2010
I disagree. It's one of the main reasons I bought it. True that the apps may not be as workflow friendly as full-blown laptop/desktop equivalents but I see it fitting in where convenience is more important. Example: I usually have a lot of informal meetings where I meet clients in a cafe so it's not easy to set up a laptop. My battery doesn't last long enough for starters and I can't plug it in to the mains. Also it's awkward swivelling the laptop around to show sites - think it's gonna be a lot more 'friendly' to hand the iPad over to them to pass around. Also the roaming Internet (when I activate it) will be really useful in those situations if it's fast enough!! I see your point but I'm a sucker for gadgets anyway and it isn't a waste of money to me ;)

@ThomRimmer: I thought, seeing as I'm going round recommending Gusto, that I should buy it and try it! :)
Got some more thoughts on it now. Firstly it's a very nice interface. Easy and intuitive and a nice look to it. Easy to set up the FTP connection (no activity log but it's hella fast connecting) and tag the files or folders you want a copy of locally. There is no progress bar for the downloads so you just have to leave it going for a while but it is fast. Once a site is downloaded you can preview a page locally and click around no problem. There's a button on each page to 'view this online' and it jumps to the live page which is nice.

As you noted you won't be able to run db sites but that got me thinking about how it will handle PHP include files... Not well unfortunately. I downloaded one of my more recent sites to test which makes extensive use of includes for headers, menus and repeating content but it won't display them so no way of navigating locally, or seeing the page correctly. It's not really a negative of Gusto per se as these things wouldn't work offline on my lappie either unless it was running a server type thing to handle PHP, but would be nice if they can add this in. I see they are planning updates so hopefully this app will keep improving. I'm impressed already though and do highly recommend it.

So in summary it's perfect for static sites and certainly usable in code view to fix emergencies on critical clients sites. Glad I got a 64 gb now - I KNEW there was a reason for it heheh !

Thanks for all the help and advice guys,

As I write this to you my shiny new 32GB 3G iPad is syncing up with iTunes.

Gusto will be an imediate app download, I've started following the dev's on twitter as well and they seem really active and eager to get updates and new features out there. I local server for processing php would be an amazing feature! How about phpmyadmin for the iPad, now we're talking!

Cheers again
Thom

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
ThomRimmer said:
Thanks for all the help and advice guys,

As I write this to you my shiny new 32GB 3G iPad is syncing up with iTunes.

Gusto will be an imediate app download, I've started following the dev's on twitter as well and they seem really active and eager to get updates and new features out there. I local server for processing php would be an amazing feature! How about phpmyadmin for the iPad, now we're talking!

Cheers again
Thom

No worries! Have fun with your new toy... Umm I mean 'tool' ;D

P.S. I see you are into F1 too - chatting to Jake about your iPads LOL :) Following you on Twitter now :)

ThomRimmer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2010
No worries! Have fun with your new toy... Umm I mean 'tool' ;D

P.S. I see you are into F1 too - chatting to Jake about your iPads LOL :) Following you on Twitter now :)

Haa I wondered why my follower count had gone up tonight.

Have you got the f1 app, it's on my secondary list as it's £20, just wondering if you thought it was worth it or not?

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
ThomRimmer said:
Haa I wondered why my follower count had gone up tonight.

Have you got the f1 app, it's on my secondary list as it's £20, just wondering if you thought it was worth it or not?

Nah haven't bothered with it. Too expensive really considering you have to buy it again next year so we've missed nearly half the seasons' usage of this one! Might get it next year but I'm not all that worried about knowing what car is where on track so I can get just the timing with the free app.

Tried Gusto yet?

Mr.Bender

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I have both penultimate and uwrite for iPad and for note taking with the finger I prefer penultimate but uwrite is truly the best note taking app with a stylus. You have a great selection of papers and pens and the palm rest zone works much better too.

hardliner

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Old Europe
I am at the same situation.

As a designer, I asked myself "where is the benefit"? Beside the hype, I visited a retailer here in Germany and tested the iPad.

It was a great exprerience. The hardware is pure quality and a fine piece of design. A little bit heavy though.

I think I am gonna get one. Just to show the clients their websites, my portfolios (photos, etc) on a clear a crisp screen.

Also, in a hotel, I don't wanna carry my MBP with 1500€ value. I think, an iPad will do the rest. Great battery, music & films, web, mails, etc.

I think for long-term, the iPad will make good investment. Just for the hype? Never. I see 4-5 hard facts for a designer to buy the iPad 3G.

best
hardliner

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.