Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Faster?
Bigger, for sure.
FaceID.
More speakers, and microphones.
USB-C?
Higher capacities.
Pencil compatibility

Trying to see if there is enough to make me want to take one home. I'm not looking at the 'barn door' biggest one. It seems too big for me to integrate into my life. *shrug*

If you have the smaller 'Pr' version, do you like it?

Thanks... I'll close this thread tomorrow.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
RAW power. A12X is a beast.

Much bigger screen than iPhone. Seriously, iPhone is NOT for doing any sort of serious work. The screen is too big to hold comfortably while too small to actually do anything productive. Phablet is just a terrible design choice that sadly most people buy into.

USB-C is still meh. External drive support is very poor and file transfer only limits to anything smaller than 20KB and no more than 2 files at the same time. Mouse support is amazing but seriously, external storage will exist for quite a while.

Pencil depends. It’s very expensive but experience is also unparalleled.

If my current iPhone dies, I will go for a cheap iPhone and upgrade iPad instead. Much better device to do everything that is not a phone call or SMS.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I have the 12" iPP 2018, and love it. Biggest benefits for me is: 1) ProMotion; 2) Styling / Face-ID vs non-Pro or pre-2018 Pro; 3) Use of much improved Pencil 2

I personally don't use the speakers / microphone that much, as I'm usually connecting with my Airpods (most of my media consumption done at night after kids are asleep so need to keep quiet).

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Faster?
Bigger, for sure.
FaceID.
More speakers, and microphones.
USB-C?
Higher capacities.
Pencil compatibility

Trying to see if there is enough to make me want to take one home. I'm not looking at the 'barn door' biggest one. It seems too big for me to integrate into my life. *shrug*

If you have the smaller 'Pr' version, do you like it?

Thanks... I'll close this thread tomorrow.
The ability to edit 4K videos on the iPad Pro is just... wow... o_O

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The ability to edit 4K videos on the iPad Pro is just... wow... o_O

if you think that crazy. Wait until I show you an 8K video edited on Lumafusion!!. Granted it takes a while and can only edit one video (LOL)

To you OP, you can use this as a basis of what the iPad Pro is more or less capable of.

SurferJoes

Suspended
May 12, 2020
FID on my 2018 11" was not as good as on my iPhone 11 pro, especially in the dark and on a desk has to be closer. My wife has it now and she doesn't use FID.

Reactions: motulist

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I enjoy my 2018 ipp 11 but I don’t think it’s worth the price difference from the base model of you are paying full retail. I bought mine refurb from Apple so I really only paid $200 more than a base iPad so at that price it was worth it to me.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
- Fast! Not only processing power, but overall fluidness: everything you do feels instant
- Face-ID working just great
- Nice high resolution screen
- Pencil

(I have the 2020 12.9” iPad Pro)

Reactions: decypher44

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
The 2018 11-inch iPad Pro will remain my companion for some time. Aside from the substantial lead in power and all the TrueDepth stuff, the arrival at a truly symmetrical design satisfies me every day.

(If I didn't care about Face ID, Animoji, or said design, the current iPad Air would have been fine for me.)

Clintro

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
USB-c I will not buy a propitiatory connector ever again. Face unlock and the processing power, I hate lag.

I only use it for typical web based stuff, but I will pay more for lag free performance. I had the Sammy Tab S5e and it was fine, but I upgraded to the Tab S6 a few months later when it came out for lag free experience.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
What features matter are subjective.

One feature I didn’t realize I would appreciate so much are the speakers. Wow. I just did not expect this good of sound coming out of the iPad Pro. When listening to music or watching videos it really impresses me how well these speakers perform. There are times I would normally have hooked up a Bluetooth speaker where I now just use the iPad Pro’s speakers.

I have the 11” and can say am happy I have that extra 1/2” of screen space for multitasking compared to a basic iPad. Our iPad mini 5 has split view and it’s just not as useful as on the iPad Pro - though I am glad both support the feature. I can see why many people get the 12.9” to be more productive.

The 120hz screen is really nicer than I expected. Though I don’t think most people would actually realize the difference.

The FaceID has been faster and works at more angles for me than on my iPhone X.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
USB-C is still meh. External drive support is very poor and file transfer only limits to anything smaller than 20KB and no more than 2 files at the same time. Mouse support is amazing but seriously, external storage will exist for quite a while.

Haven’t come across these file transfer limitations you’re speaking about! You really can’t transfer files over 20kb? And only two?
That’s not happening with me at all. It’s working as it would on a Mac for transferring files between drives and iPad and all in between.

Reactions: decypher44

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Haven’t come across these file transfer limitations you’re speaking about! You really can’t transfer files over 20kb? And only two?
That’s not happening with me at all. It’s working as it would on a Mac for transferring files between drives and iPad and all in between.

I can indeed transfer bigger files and multiple files. Problem is I don't see meaningful progress and it is not very user friendly as I have no idea when the transfer would complete. I am talking about moving about 50 files (around 7-8 GB as whole). I guess they did not think that people would transfer files like this but for me this is kind of normal process.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I can indeed transfer bigger files and multiple files. Problem is I don't see meaningful progress and it is not very user friendly as I have no idea when the transfer would complete. I am talking about moving about 50 files (around 7-8 GB as whole). I guess they did not think that people would transfer files like this but for me this is kind of normal process.

Yes it’s annoying there isn’t a progress bar that’s true.

But it’s not limited, or particularly slow for me, moving raws and bigger video files seems fairly similar to usb c on my 2018 Mac mini. Perhaps a bit slower I’m not sure but certainly it’s not limited in size or amount of files as the op insinuated.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Yes it’s annoying there isn’t a progress bar that’s true.

But it’s not limited, or particularly slow for me, moving raws and bigger video files seems fairly similar to usb c on my 2018 Mac mini. Perhaps a bit slower I’m not sure but certainly it’s not limited in size or amount of files as the op insinuated.

Yeah I do not think that it is like turtle slow but I do think that it it slower compared to my laptop. That being said it is tolerable and OK for my needs as I do not work with say 4K video files for processing or something like that. It is just the lack of usability that they need to improve.

I have not tested it enough to tell you how slow it is and what makes it slow.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
+1 for FaceID, so fast. I hope to never see a home button again.

Funny, FaceID is the exact reason why I haven't bought a new iPad. Actually I did buy one, tried it for a week, and hated FaceId so much I had to return it.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Funny, FaceID is the exact reason why I haven't bought a new iPad. Actually I did buy one, tried it for a week, and hated FaceId so much I had to return it.

For me it is neither here nor there. I do not see it useful on a tablet. Half of the time it does not register and I have to use passcode anyway. It does not annoy me to the point of returning back the iPad, but it does not impress me either.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011

For me it is neither here nor there. I do not see it useful on a tablet. Half of the time it does not register and I have to use passcode anyway. It does not annoy me to the point of returning back the iPad, but it does not impress me either.

I enjoy the convenience of FaceID. For most scenarios it works well for me for both iPad and iPhone. There are times I would appreciate a TouchID fallback instead of typing in the passcode. I also would like to register more than one face. With TouchID I could register multiple fingers which allowme to share my iPad more easily. FaceID is just one person. I want multi-user support too, but I’d settle for just letting more than one face be registered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.