Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I am trying to locate video or a transcript of a Steve Jobs presentation that I believe was at least a few years before he died but I cant be sure. I do not know what the event was, if it was a product launch, WWDC, Macworld, or whatever. What I DO remember that a large part of it sounded like an inspiring commencement address meant both for Apple employees old and new and the wide world of Apple users since the very start. He talked a lot about the very sincere and important consideration given to the basic "goodness" and "worthiness" of each and every Apple product big and small, and I feel that he used some sort of phrase along the lines of "We're Apple. This is what we have always done." Then he invited everyone to applaud for the audience of employees and their dedication and care over every detail and said every Apple success is because of you, in some string of words. This occurred on some kind of Anniversary, but I dont know if it was an APPLE historical date, a Mac historical date, a post NeXT merger historical date, or exactly what date it was occurring on (but not directly about). And a special limited edition very glossy softcover commemorative book was printed with additional photos and details about important apple milestones emphasizing the emphasis on doing QUALITY stuff that users were delighted with, and it included the full text of his speech. I am not aware of any other major Steve Jobs address with quite this sort of theme or with an accompanying book, but for the life of me I absolutely cannot figure out any sort of search terms that finds it.

Anyone been around since the darkest Apple days or before who likely would have been moved a bit more by this address than more average listeners?

What I want is literally the text od his address, because i rememver it containing at least q dozen distinct but not quite related themes about sinrpiration, pride, legqdy, changing the world, and other things dompletely disconnected from any type of product launch or demo or whatever.

I have tried periodicqlly for more than a decade to find this, but unless i try to come up with a list of every single public address he ever gave to this type and size of audience abd watch every one of them until i find the right one, I just do not know of any other way to find it except to ask around.

-Pete

I know this is a macOS forum but I honestly could not decide any other forum where this would be more appropriate and I am assuming that cross-posting it is forbidden or at least frowned upon.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
How about this:

This is a recent compilation but some of the clips sound very much like what you described.

Or the Think Different campaign intro near the end talks about the Mac team:

Last edited:
Reactions: petekjohnson

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Thanks! First one is posthumous and not a life speech, so i dont think its in there unless it is very briefly references. The second video appears to be a compilation of assorted Steve Jobs talks but they all mostly sound like interviews or pre-typed presentations, not live in a theater. However it is 16 minutes long so i did skip through it and there were a few spots that were ALMOST what i thought i was looking for, so i guess i just have to watch both of them from start to finish with no distractoins to be sure it is in one of them or not.

I remember this speech standing out simply because of the emphasis in Apple's culture and pride from a very personal perspective of him and early and current employees all dedicated to ignoring trends to just "do the best stuff anyway, which is what apple has always done" and not very much at all about whatever might have been happening in that timeframe as far as products, os updates, or anything so TANGIBLE except maybe just in passing, which is certainly NOT how most other Apple/Jobs keynotes turn out. And they surprised the audience with an unannounced collector's edition glossy 4-color book just for the audience and all current employees, one printing ever and not ever sold, and no other keynote or event I can remember had something like that in it either. So it seems SO specific and distinct friom all of his other equally excellent keybotes but yet i cannot come up with the words well enough to find it. Maybe I should email @tim_cook and get it over with. LOL

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The second one is definitely not a compilation. It's when Steve introduced the "Think Different" adverts.

Here is the original recording:

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
The second video from reply #2 has music, there are very noticeable changes in volume and audio fidelity, and it is a 15 minute long stream of similar uplifting motivational Apple talk but it, in MY opinion, doesnt sound ANYTHING like an actual live 15 minute address, and i never heard any sort of audience or applause.

This new video in reply #4 appears to be about the same length but right away I heard clapping and briefly skipping a lot of it just did not sound like the prior one.

Again, I will just have to set everything aside and watch them all start to finish and take notes, but I just dont think we're thinking about the same thing. And anyway, introducing Think Different was in the "we hope this iMac willl keep us afload until we can launch Mac OS X in another 2-2 years with mostly the same dulll hardware we have now", and the speech I am looking for was WAY later after Apple was well into its upswing that has never turned back down since. Might have been before iPhone, or later, but definitely after iPod. So like 7-10 years roughly later than a Think Different announcement. And again Think DIfferent focused on what made apple USERS unique and different and how Apple helped them think different, and very little about the small unnoticed ways that Apple employes devoted themselves to a larger historical tradiation of excellence predating Macs embedded into the very soul of Apple. Just not the same topic at all. And once again, THERE WAS A SURPRISE BOOK GIVEN OUT LIVE DURING THE EVENT.

Not trying to sound rude but I think we must be miscommunicating somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.