Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
In the early 90s I got my first Mac. There was an addictive game I played on it, although simple by today's standards. It showed a two-dimensional depiction of a city, with incoming missiles. The point was to take out the missiles before they destroyed a building. As the game progressed more and more missiles descended from the sky, making it harder to keep up. Whenever one got past you, there was a flash as it destroyed its target. But what was the name of that game??? Driving me nuts!

Belm

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Is it the one where if you lose, the guy from the Aliens movie goes, "Game over, man! Game over!"? Because I've been trying to figure it out myself.

okieman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Turns out there are two answers.
"Missle Command" is an Atari game that is still around and even available for iPhone; see links.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26023/missile-command
http://www.cultofmac.com/10388/cult-of-mac-favorite-missile-command-iphone-game/

However, the game that had me hooked was a similar black-and-white rendition named "Missile" -- link follows:
http://mrob.com/pub/comp/missile20.html

Now, if I can just remember the name of that other game where I navigated through space in a little ship, and when things would happen there were the coolest sampled sound effects. It was really clever ....

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Now, if I can just remember the name of that other game where I navigated through space in a little ship, and when things would happen there were the coolest sampled sound effects. It was really clever ....

Hmmm, that's a bit vague. ;) Maelstrom maybe?

I remember finding a version of it with Monty Python sound-effects, and then I re-drew a lot of the sprites in a pixel editor (loooonng time!) to match.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
its definitely a missile command clone... but there have been hundreds of missile command clones...

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
In the early 90s I got my first Mac. There was an addictive game I played on it, although simple by today's standards. It showed a two-dimensional depiction of a city, with incoming missiles. The point was to take out the missiles before they destroyed a building. As the game progressed more and more missiles descended from the sky, making it harder to keep up. Whenever one got past you, there was a flash as it destroyed its target. But what was the name of that game??? Driving me nuts!

theres one called armageddon revamped in 2004 to run 0n osx. and still playable on 10.6.8

juanmaria

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012

What kinds of "things" happened that triggered the sound effects? Just on that one sentence I could suggest Maelstrom, for example.

Last edited:

nextuser

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2016

I know this is an old thread but it might be Mac Missiles by none other than Avie Tevanian

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Reading the title made me remember of this!!!

I know it's not the right one, but what memories!!

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.