Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsa526

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I have Monterey (12.3.1) running on my Mac mini (M1, 2020). I have an externally connected SSD drive on which I have installed Big Sur (to use programs that are not compatible with Monterey). The install went fine, and the computer restarted. I shut down and entered into recovery mode to choose the external drive with Big Sur. Unfortunately, when I click the drive, nothing happens (attached files). How do I get this to work?

Edit: I tried to upload a video of what happens, but it did not work. It was a video of me clicking on the icon for macOS Big Sur with no reaction from the system (just a brief spinning/loading wheel below the icon).

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpg
    IMG_4119.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 117

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You probably already did this, but...

... have you booted to recovery, then opened Startup Security, and DISABLED security...?
You have to do that before the Mac will boot from an external drive.

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
You probably already did this, but...

... have you booted to recovery, then opened Startup Security, and DISABLED security...?
You have to do that before the Mac will boot from an external drive.
What? No, you do not have to reduce or disable security to boot from an external.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
roboto posted:
"No, you do not have to reduce or disable security to boot from an external."

Here's a screenshot of Startup Security (this one running on a 2018 Mac Mini):
Startup Security Utility.jpg

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
What? No, you do not have to reduce or disable security to boot from an external.
Yes, you do when it involves booting a version of macOS older than what's on the internal SSD. Since the main drive is on Monterey, you need to reduce security to allow an older version to be booted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.