Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hi, I have a late 2008 MacBook Aluminum that is supported by Mavericks, and I downloaded the installer from the App Store, but whenever I try to run it it says 'Alert: Mavericks cannot be installed on this computer'. Looking in the logs it says 'Cannot load IA.bundle' Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dzejms

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
London
Trying to install Mavericks on Supported Mac, can't.

What system are you running currently?

Have you tried creating USB stick using DiskMakerX and installing it from bootable usb?

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
What system are you running currently?

Have you tried creating USB stick using DiskMakerX and installing it from bootable usb?

Since I am on Snow Leopard, I can't, but I'm working on my Mac Pro to get it working again. I tried restoring the DMG to a flash drive but it wasn't bootable.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Which version of SL? Needs to be 10.6.8 to upgrade to Mavericks.

Have also seen where folks had to reinstall SL, update to .8, then go ahead with Mavericks.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Since I am on Snow Leopard, I can't, but I'm working on my Mac Pro to get it working again. I tried restoring the DMG to a flash drive but it wasn't bootable.

Restoring the DMG will not work, because it's not as easy as taking the InstallESD.dmg from the installer anymore. There's a lot more hidden files to restore.

You have to use DiskMaker X.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
DiskMakerX/createinstallmedia doesn't work on 10.6.8. I reinstalled 10.6, but now Mavericks is saying that my disk is damaged, even though its a brand new SSHD. This macbook is a bucket of problems, now its saying the RAM is bad.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
DiskMakerX/createinstallmedia doesn't work on 10.6.8. I reinstalled 10.6, but now Mavericks is saying that my disk is damaged, even though its a brand new SSHD. This macbook is a bucket of problems, now its saying the RAM is bad.

If the RAM is bad, it'll cause all sorts of random issues, like failing to verify installer disk images. Are you certain the RAM isn't actually faulty?
Diskmaker X should work fine in 10.6.8.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I thought that too until I went to the homepage and the author clearly states that it doesn't work with 10.6.8. Perhaps that has changed and the page needs to be updated. Do you know something we don't.
Nothing specific aside from the main Diskmaker page that says
Diskmaker X said:
DiskMaker X (formerly Lion DiskMaker) is an application built with AppleScript that you can use with Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, OS X 10.8 and 10.9 to build a bootable drive from Mac OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion Installation or OS X Mavericks Installer program.
I've just used createinstallmedia, but admittedly haven't run 10.6 for years. I missed the disclaimer below the main body copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.