Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Hi all.

Going from a previous thread of mine HERE, I managed to get a bootable usb stick made up from my ML download via iTunes.

However when I select the HD which shows as untitled btw, I get

"an error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again".

Has anyone some advice to help me?

The laptop is a MBP 2010 c2d, with NO os installed.

Last edited:

rgfincher

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
A couple of ideas

Firstly, Might be worth going into Disk Utilities to check that things are as they should be on the Mac's hard disk. If you have no contents to preserve, try removing and re-adding the partition.

Secondly, the installer needs to check your eligibility to run the software with the App Store, so you probably have to be signed into the Apple App Store after booting, and be connected to the internet so that this can happen.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Firstly, Might be worth going into Disk Utilities to check that things are as they should be on the Mac's hard disk. If you have no contents to preserve, try removing and re-adding the partition.

Secondly, the installer needs to check your eligibility to run the software with the App Store, so you probably have to be signed into the Apple App Store after booting, and be connected to the internet so that this can happen.

I am in disk utilities booting from the usb drive on the MBP right now, when I try to unmount the internal HD I get ;

"the disk UNTITLED could not be unmounted"

"make sure all applications and files are closed on this disk"

And I seem unable to unmount the internal HD at all!

I have removed the thumbdrive at this point, and am rather stuck.

Last edited:

rgfincher

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Booting

Go into Finder Preferences and set it to show Hard Disks on the desktop.
Then, make sure your USB stick is appearing top right. Not 100% sure you're actually booting from the USB stick.

Do you have another mac? I think you'll find my Firewire Target Disk mode more reliable.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
Go into Finder Preferences and set it to show Hard Disks on the desktop.
Then, make sure your USB stick is appearing top right. Not 100% sure you're actually booting from the USB stick.

Do you have another mac? I think you'll find my Firewire Target Disk mode more reliable.

No other mac the iMac is waiting for repair. And it won't boot due to their being no operating system, the HD verifys okay in disk uilties which I am in due to booting from the USB drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi all.

Going from a previous thread of mine HERE, I managed to get a bootable usb stick made up from my ML download via iTunes.

However when I select the HD which shows as untitled btw, I get

"an error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again".

Has anyone some advice to help me?

The laptop is a MBP 2010 c2d, with NO os installed.

I am assuming here there is nothing on the drive you want to keep?

Once you option key boot from the USB key launch Disk Util and select the internal drive at the left of Disk Util. Make sure you select the drive brand name itself at the very top and not the partition/volume below it. Now go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then apply that format. Then quit Disk Util and go ahead with the install.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are in Disk Utility, can you run Repair Disk on the internal hard drive?

You can also try selecting the drive (the top-most line for that drive, showing manufacturer's info), then the Partition tab. Change the drop down from "Current", to one partition. Click the Apply button.
That short process will reset your partition setup on the drive, and may correct the unmount issue. You can also name the partition there, if you prefer.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
I am assuming here there is nothing on the drive you want to keep?

Once you option key boot from the USB key launch Disk Util and select the internal drive at the left of Disk Util. Make sure you select the drive brand name itself at the very top and not the partition/volume below it. Now go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then apply that format. Then quit Disk Util and go ahead with the install.

If you are in Disk Utility, can you run Repair Disk on the internal hard drive?

You can also try selecting the drive (the top-most line for that drive, showing manufacturer's info), then the Partition tab. Change the drop down from "Current", to one partition. Click the Apply button.
That short process will reset your partition setup on the drive, and may correct the unmount issue. You can also name the partition there, if you prefer.

When trying to repair using your method ( thanks guys ) I got this.

"Partition map repair failed while adjusting structures to fit current whole disk size".

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What is the result when you try the Partition tab/Partition Layout, changing that to 1 Partition, then click the Apply button?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
UK
What is the result when you try the Partition tab/Partition Layout, changing that to 1 Partition, then click the Apply button?

[QUOTE =Disk Utilities]
Partition failed

Partition failed with the error:

Couldn't unmount disk.
[/QUOTE]

Above^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.