Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
Using open core legacy patcher, i was able to install Monterey 2009 5.1 Mac Pro on a Sata SSD.

i have been trying to install the same OS using a USB flash drive, on to MVME OWC PCIe using a 2TB OWC ssd, i can install set up files on to the mv-me ssd, then on reboot i keep getting a recovery screen. maybe due to NVRAM vars, i hold down [CMD][OPT][P][R] to clear the vars, i hold down the key sequence for 4 apple tones,
but i still get the recovery screen.

here is my system info.
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 60 GB
System Firmware Version: MP51.007F.B03
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~22
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5
OS Monterey 12.6.7
OpenCore 9.2 ( open core legacy patcher )
( could not attach config.plist

Please advise.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Using open core legacy patcher, i was able to install Monterey 2009 5.1 Mac Pro on a Sata SSD.

i have been trying to install the same OS using a USB flash drive, on to MVME OWC PCIe using a 2TB OWC ssd, i can install set up files on to the mv-me ssd, then on reboot i keep getting a recovery screen. maybe due to NVRAM vars, i hold down [CMD][OPT][P][R] to clear the vars, i hold down the key sequence for 4 apple tones,
but i still get the recovery screen.

here is my system info.

OpenCore 9.2 ( open core legacy patcher )
( could not attach config.plist

Please advise.

Nothing to do with you OC config.plist. Your Mac Pro BootROM version System Firmware Version: MP51.007F.B03 is from 2010, at least 6 years before Mac Pro compatible NVMe blades arrived to the market. You will never directly boot from a NVMe drive/blade with this ancient BootROM version.

For booting from NVMe drives/blades, you need at least BootROM 140.0.0.0.0 (current BootROM is 144.0.0.0.0), this is the reference stickie thread for upgrading the BootROM:

Follow the steps on the first post of the thread and upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0.

If you can't do it yourself, for example you don't have an AppleOEM GPU to first upgrade to MP51.0089.B00 first, you can circumvent the process with a payed BootROM reconstruction service.

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
I forgot to say, i have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 i just bought. ( not flashed )
in the 2009 MP i am using a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti only because it has the boot screens. i also have Sap HD 7950 but not a mac edition.

? how much does the service cost to upgrade my 2009 to the correct B-ROM , who does it. i will have to send my computer in. ?
? where can i get a Mac EFI GPU.
? After mojave is installed , is it advisable to install Monterey on the MVME SSD at that point.

The fail-proof way to upgrade a MP5,1 firmware is to fully erase a SATA drive, remove all other drives from your Mac Pro, install High Sierra 10.13.6 to it, download the current Mac App Store full installer (10.14.6), clear the NVRAM 3 times in sequence, after that you try to upgrade the firmware running the Mojave full installer.

? using only 1 SSD to do the install, can i run the installer from a USB drive... and how to boot from the USB drive if
a hackUSB is not advised to use.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I forgot to say, i have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 i just bought. ( not flashed )
in the 2009 MP i am using a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti only because it has the boot screens. i also have Sap HD 7950 but not a mac edition.

? how much does the service cost to upgrade my 2009 to the correct B-ROM , who does it. i will have to send my computer in. ?

I'll send you a PM. No, you won't need to send your Mac Pro, you send everything requested, I'll send you back the never booted/reconstructed BootROM image for you to flash to your backplane via ROMTool.

? where can i get a Mac EFI GPU.

eBay?!? You won't need one after flashing the reconstructed BootROM image or upgrading the BootROM yourself.

Your RX 580 will work fine for pre-boot configuration support, if you flash the reconstructed BootROM image.

? After mojave is installed , is it advisable to install Monterey on the MVME SSD at that point.

Once you have the BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 flashed, you can install to the NVMe blade and it will boot from it.

? using only 1 SSD to do the install, can i run the installer from a USB drive... and how to boot from the USB drive if
a hackUSB is not advised to use.

This is explained on the BootROM stickie thread, please read the first post completely.

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
i think flashing with a ROMtool is easier and faster.
shall i supply my email and you can send me cost, how to pay, and all other details.
and will the ROMTool work in Mac OS. I don't have windows.
is is possible to use this romTool on my other 2012 mac pro ( if needed ) i think it is a 144 but not sure.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
i think flashing with a ROMtool is easier and faster.
shall i supply my email and you can send me cost, how to pay, and all other details.

I've sent you a PM, get everything as instructed and I'll get back to you ASAP. I'm also gonna need your email address to send the PayPal invoice.

and will the ROMTool work in Mac OS. I don't have windows.

Yes, ROMTool is a macOS only app.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Please send it on the PM thread, edit your previous post and remove your private data from here.

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
I am running Monterey on the 2009 that i want to upgrade.
Romtool does not work on Monterey ?
will i need to make a USB Boot for Mojave to run the RomTool ?
or will I need to install a fresh copy of Mojave on the SSD anyway, run the RomTool and do the dumping.

& i don't know if the Mac Pro was Bricked ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I am running Monterey on the 2009 that i want to upgrade.
Romtool does not work on Monterey ?

Works, but sometimes the dumped BootROM image is not reliable. You can try, I'll check.

will i need to make a USB Boot for Mojave to run the RomTool ?

No.

or will I need to install a fresh copy of Mojave on the SSD anyway, run the RomTool and do the dumping.

You can't install Mojave right now, the EFI firmware will need to be upgraded and you don't have the AppleOEM GPU.

If you gonna do a clean install the easiest way is Sierra, no multiple BootROM upgrades required like High Sierra and Mojave. Sierra 10.12.6 works with a RX 580.

& i don't know if the Mac Pro was Bricked ?

If it's working right now, no (you can't say about the past life).

culser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2023
Monterey is running now. but it was installed by OCLP ... and OCLP installed the current EFI. which means it is spoofed
and the dump will no good to you. How can i boot clean with no OC .. ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.