Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hello all, I am trying to install Sierra as a virtual machine through Parallels desktop, on my 2018 mac mini running mac os Ventura. It went ok, I installed via a USB stick with a bunch of mac OSes on it, among them, I chose Sierra, and Parallels had to first make a bootable disk image, since the sierra os was as an install app on the thumb drive.

All went ok, it made the disk image, and began the install, but it is now it is hanging and stuck at 2 minutes remaining, and has been like this for an hour or more now. I cannot keep parallels running this install indefinitely.

What should I do?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Wait overnight. One hour certainly isn’t long enough to assume a problem, and interrupting the install won’t get you closer to your desired goal.

• Haha
Reactions: orionquest

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I have been installing macOS on various Mac Pro via Parallels. For instance, this MP 6,1 is running VM Monterey, Mohave, and El Capitan, which I use for testing before I install an app on a Mac.

I have never got a problem. The way I am doing the installation is like Parallels is a physical Mac. So, I download the OS dmg file, and run it to prepare an installable app that sits in my Applications folder. When I require the OS installation as a VM, Parallels calls that installable app to complete the task, responding as expected.

From your post, it seems that you have done something analogous, so I can't be more detailed. Still, I think you should abandon this current installation and try it all over again.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Waiting over night is not a solution what a ridiculous suggestion.

Might be best to re-download the Sierra installer. Not sure how long ago you created the USB stick but Apple had to update a bunch of the installers because of outdated certificates. Also maybe only have 1 installer on the USB.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Well, have waited overnight, and it is still stuck on 2 minutes waiting. What should I do now? When I try to clock quit, my cursor disappears, it is stuck in the corner of the window screen of this virtual machine. When trying to pick anything, so I cant even do that.

The usb stick is one with multi macOSes in-stallion apps, and Parallels needed to make a dmg or iso file first, and it did that. It then went on to install Sierra made progress, but it has been stuck at 2 minutes waiting.

I tried to quit, but what I had to do was quit sierra install, or parallels suspended it. It shows up as a virtual machine like all my others, but is stuck.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Copy the installer from the USB stick to your Mac’s local drive and try again.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ok, I have unmounted the usb stick from my mac, but I now cannot do anything with the virtual machine, it seems to be permanently stuck on 2 minutes remaining, there is no option to delete the machine, only to suspend. When I try to click on shut down, it does not respond. I do not even see where I ca just delete it and start over again.

When ever I try to move my cursor inside the mac os virtual machine to click quit installation, my cursor it disappears,, so I cannot do anything in it, I have to jiggle my cursor to get it back to navigate all my other stuff on my mac.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I tried force quitting multiple times, and retrying, nothing works. I did find the console app, and tried looking at the logs, and at the most recent one I see vulcan message multiple times, do not know what that means.

It does get a little further, goes through the steps, progresses and now hangs at 1 minute remaining.

At this point, I think it might be a lost cause.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I’m assuming you are running Parallels 18 if you have Ventura. If not, you may need to upgrade Parallels.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I’m assuming you are running Parallels 18 if you have Ventura. If not, you may need to upgrade Parallels.
Yes, I should have mentioned, I am running the latest version Parallels 18, on a 2018 intel mac mini with macOS Ventura.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I think the problem might be is that I need the macos in an ISO format, I notice that among the choices when first adding a virtual machine, is to do this from an ISO file. my mac os is an install app.

Is there a simple way to get this in a format that Parallels can understand and work with?

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Try activity monitor if you can force quit the task from there. Hopefully you can then I would restart your computer afterwards. Relaunch Parallels and delete that VM. Coping the installer to the local drive was a good suggestion. Do that a try to create a new VM.
Also check if there are any updates to Parallels.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Try activity monitor if you can force quit the task from there. Hopefully you can then I would restart your computer afterwards. Relaunch Parallels and delete that VM. Coping the installer to the local drive was a good suggestion. Do that a try to create a new VM.
Also check if there are any updates to Parallels.
Yes, I checked for updates, my Parallels is up to date. I aslo found and deleted the virtual machine the files on my mac, and will start over again, this time I think I need an ISO file or a DMG file, all I have is the install app.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Control-click (or right-click) on the install app and pick "Show package contents". This will "open" the app (which is a special kind of folder). In there you will find SharedSupport folder with a InstallESD DMG file. Copy the DMG file and paste it elsewhere, e.g. your Downloads folder. Select this file when creating the virtual machine.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Control-click (or right-click) on the install app and pick "Show package contents". This will "open" the app (which is a special kind of folder). In there you will find SharedSupport folder with a InstallESD DMG file. Copy the DMG file and paste it elsewhere, e.g. your Downloads folder. Select this file when creating the virtual machine.
Thank you, I only just got back to see this reply. I opened the install Sierra app, and found the install ESD file, once I have copied it to my drive, would it be safe to rename it? So I know what OS it is?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ok, tried to install the install ESD DMG file that I got or found in the package shared folder in the Sierra app, copied that dmg file to my mac, and then tried to install, but parallels could not detect it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.