Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I haven't installed or updated the latest version of itunes yet, but I want to so I can sync my phone and jailbreak. My iTunes is saying I need the latest version-when I click the link it takes me to the Mac store and shows me Mavericks.

Can I do this without installing Mavericks as the new OS? I really don't feel like upgrading an entire OS just to jailbreak. Please help me out. Thanks!

Last edited:

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I haven't installed or updated the latest version of itunes yet, but I want to so I can sync my phone and jailbreak. My iTunes is saying I need the latest version-when I click the link it takes me to the Mac store and shows me Mavericks.

Can I do this without installing Mavericks as the new OS? I really don't feel like upgrading an entire OS just to jailbreak. Please help me out. Thanks!

VM -> windows?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Yes you can, but it would help to know which OS you are running.

I did mine on Mountain Lion, and possibly could have done Lion. I was running 6.1.2 jailbroken on my iPhone 4S. updated to 7.0.4, and jailbroke again without a problem.

BL.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Yes you can, but it would help to know which OS you are running.

I did mine on Mountain Lion, and possibly could have done Lion. I was running 6.1.2 jailbroken on my iPhone 4S. updated to 7.0.4, and jailbroke again without a problem.

BL.

Thanks. I am using Mountain Lion as well. Is there a link where I can find the latest version of itunes?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks. I am using Mountain Lion as well. Is there a link where I can find the latest version of itunes?

Why not just go through software update in the Apple Menu? It is going to pull up the App store anyway, but I don't recall the newest version of iTunes *requiring* Mavericks. Mine certainly didn't.

BL.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Why not just go through software update in the Apple Menu? It is going to pull up the App store anyway, but I don't recall the newest version of iTunes *requiring* Mavericks. Mine certainly didn't.

BL.

That's what I originally did and it took me to the mac store on my computer and the only update available was OS X Mavericks.

I just went directly to Apple's website and downloaded it. I'm not sure why it didn't work properly via itunes directly. Thanks.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just throwing this out there for the OP just in case:
Mavericks update is free.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Just throwing this out there for the OP just in case:
Mavericks update is free.

It's free but it depends on what computer the OP is using. I have two old Macs, a 2008 black MB and a white 2010 MB. Only the 2010 can run Mavericks but it's still on Lion.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't understand why the OP didn't just read the system requirements on the evasi0n homepage. It clearly says that it requires "Mac OS X (10.7 minimum)."

It's free but it depends on what computer the OP is using. I have two old Macs, a 2008 black MB and a white 2010 MB. Only the 2010 can run Mavericks but it's still on Lion.

The App Store won't even offer the update if his computer is not compatible with it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

So what, the only one that will show you Mavericks as an update will be the one that can run it. In other words the OP machine can run it.

Btw, I have a mid 2007 white MacBook running a modified mountain lion. It works much better and faster than when I was running lion on it. Find the instructions on the Mac section of the forum. The mod/patch was made by a member here and works great. There are other who are working on something g similar w mavericks too, but that one will be more problematic to get it to run good.

Also, if your 2010 can officially run mavericks then at the very least install mountain lion on it. Lion is a hog.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
So what, the only one that will show you Mavericks as an update will be the one that can run it. In other words the OP machine can run it.

Btw, I have a mid 2007 white MacBook running a modified mountain lion. It works much better and faster than when I was running lion on it. Find the instructions on the Mac section of the forum. The mod/patch was made by a member here and works great. There are other who are working on something g similar w mavericks too, but that one will be more problematic to get it to run good.

Also, if your 2010 can officially run mavericks then at the very least install mountain lion on it. Lion is a hog.

I had Mountain Lion on it and went back to Lion due to the MB running out of memory all the time. It would just come to a dead stop and I would have no choice but to hit the power button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.