Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I've listed my like new iPad Air 1, 64GB, white, wifi+LTE on Craigslist for $575 and gotten no bites (except a guy who offered to trade for a hunting rifle). Asking too much? What's a reasonable price?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I've listed my like new iPad Air 1, 64GB, white, wifi+LTE on Craigslist for $575 and gotten no bites (except a guy who offered to trade for a hunting rifle). Asking too much? What's a reasonable price?

I'm selling the same with AppleCare and two apple cases for 450 shipped and nothing

masterpace

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Montreal
Second hand market of iPads is quite saturated at the moment. A month ago, I could manage to sell my 128GB iPad Air (wifi) with Smart Cover for 500 $. That was before the Air 2 was announced. A 64GB cellular iPad Air for 575 $ is way overpriced to me. Even 450 $ is overpriced. I would say 400 $ is more reasonable.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Asking way too much. Apple's refurbished store has a 64 GB cellular iPad Air for $539, and that comes with a one-year warranty. There's always the chance you'll get someone who isn't aware of the price of things but if you want to sell it quickly...

Looking on eBay it seems that the median selling price is around $500 for a 64 GB cellular iPad Air. The problem is that data includes the time from before the iPad Air 2 was released (and possibly from before it was announced). I'd expect to knock another $100 off that cost...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It always amazes me when people have no idea how to do an ebay search of completed auctions, and/or craigslist, and/or Apple's refurb page.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
It always amazes me when people have no idea how to do an ebay search of completed auctions, and/or craigslist, and/or Apple's refurb page.

It amazes me just as much that some people ASSUME that someone did not do just that, and came here for advice. I thought that was one of the things that makes this forum useful and great. If you''re not going to be helpful in a thread don't bother replying. Geez!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

On the Apple store, a refurb one (like yours) is going for $539. I wouldn't spend more than $475 if I was looking but that's me :D.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It amazes me just as much that some people ASSUME that someone did not do just that, and came here for advice. I thought that was one of the things that makes this forum useful and great. If you''re not going to be helpful in a thread don't bother replying. Geez!

if you actually did the research i indicated, you would never have asked $575. if you did check the places mentioned and still thought $575 was the right price, either you didn't search correctly, or you are too hopeful.

and as far as being helpful, listing the places to look, as i did, is helpful for lots of people.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I sold my 64gb iPad Air wifi back in March on eBay for around $570 with a smart case and 2 meter cable . I doubt you'll reach close to that now

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
if you actually did the research i indicated, you would never have asked $575. if you did check the places mentioned and still thought $575 was the right price, either you didn't search correctly, or you are too hopeful.
Ah, cut the guy a break :) It's possible that it didn't occur to him to check those areas; it's also possible that he did check, as he stated, and still wasn't sure if his pricing was OK. It may seem obvious to you and me, but that doesn't mean it's so clear to everyone else, especially if it's his first time selling a device of his.

I remember being a bit uncertain and afraid my first time, even though I had checked pricing and such. It's nice to have reassurance from the collective. Hopefully he (and other readers) will read the advice, learn and take it to heart, and then they'll push it forward by continuing to answer similar questions that are bound to arise from others in the future. Isn't that how humanity moves forward?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I just sold my Wi-Fi iPad Air 64GB on CL for $400 yesterday. It's definitely a buyers market and not a sellers one right now. My advice is to just set a price and then for every couple of days that it doesn't sell, don't be afraid to lower the price by another $25 when you renew the ad. I started mine on CL at $450 last weekend and it finally sold after 5 days when it got down to $400.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I just sold my Wi-Fi iPad Air 64GB on CL for $400 yesterday. It's definitely a buyers market and not a sellers one right now. My advice is to just set a price and then for every couple of days that it doesn't sell, don't be afraid to lower the price by another $25 when you renew the ad. I started mine on CL at $450 last weekend and it finally sold after 5 days when it got down to $400.

I set it high and wait for counter offers imo. Put a Samsung galaxy tab s10.5 32gb with a book cover for $475 and took $450 knowing I would get a counter offer. The tablet is $549.99 and the book cover is $59.99 I believe or $69.99 . Also added my old micro sd card in there for free

maintainin

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Ill probably list my 64gb wifi Air in excellent condition on craigslist for $450. But I'm willing to sell for $400. I expect it will sell in 2-3 days. My last two ipads have always gone quick on craigslist.

If mine had LTE id probably throw on $50. So $450-500 to answer OP.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Since iPads aren't as important to as our iPhones, always resell it a month before Apple's keynote and live without one for a month. I got $380 for my 16Gb wifi on eBay last month. The guy could have gotten a brand new one with a warranty for 20 bucks more now. Most people are unaware of apples upcoming releases.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Trying to Sell iPad Air 1 - Need Price Advice

I've done that in the past, but with so many listed in my area right now that wasn't working. No bites at all until I lowered the asking price.

I live in nyc so maybe that's why I had better luck ? Maybe depends on city or town you live in .

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I live in nyc so maybe that's why I had better luck ?

Maybe, but Dallas isn't exactly small either. There are simply so many for sale right now that buyers just aren't biting unless the starting price is low in my experience anyway.

By contrast, I sold my iPhone 5s in less than 3 hours even after the 6/6+ had been announced and got more for it than I had hoped to even.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.