Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I have tried the HomeKit App on iPhone, iPad (both running 16.3.1) and Mac OS Ventura (13.2.1), and the settings on the Apple TV itself. Nowhere am I able to set the default speaker for the Apple TV to the HomePod mini. No such option shows up in the Apple TV settings in HomeKit anywhere, and the Apple TV HD setting show the TV speakers as the default audio output, with no opportunity to change it. Am I missing something? Also, sometimes the Apple TV retains the previous selection of the HomePod mini as audio output, and other times, it defaults back to the TV speakers and I have to re-select it in HomeKit on iPad or iPhone. Curiously, no ability to select the audio output for the Apple TV HD in HomeKit on Mac OS Ventura.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
go to menu on the tv and set up airplay: name of homepod-s

that is how I started when I launched my apple tv for the first time

then home app on an iPhone cn home app to control other setting
second

Reactions: formorz

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Hmmm... no option to do that anywhere. This is what my Settings menu shows for 'Airplay and Homekit':
tempImagePy7HZY.jpg

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
You will need to go into the Apple TV Audio settings, audio output and the option should be there to select the homepod mini.
Nope, it's not there. It shows TV as default audio, but no ability to click on that and select something else.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I think this is an Apple TV 4K only feature.
I suspect you're right. I referenced the user guide and figured out how to select the HomePod mini as the output via the remote, but nowhere did it talk about the 'default' settings. 🤷‍♀️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.