Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I want to create my own home server. My current setup is a 24" imac and an apple airport base station. Since the imac doesnt have any kind of HD upgrades, I have 3 external drives I use. I have one for TimeMachine, one for iTunes and one spare. I want to clean everything up and build my own home server. I have been doing some research and Im not sure what i need and dont need. I was going to pick up a cheap dual 867Mhz G4 off ebay. I wanted to use this as the server. I was going to either fill it with some hard drives, depending on what is the max it supports. If it doesn't support a couple of TBs then I guess I would have to get some kind of external raid case and fill it up and attach it with a eSata cable.

The main thing I want to do is be able to do is put this G4 in another room and just have my imac by itself and a laptop, both being able to back up to the G4 and access data. I also would like to be able to access one or all of the HDs remotely when im at work or somewhere else. I am just not sure what the minimum I would need to do this, or what the best solution is. Im not looking to spend a fortune doing it. Thanks for all your help, I hope this post makes sense lol.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I want to create my own home server. My current setup is a 24" imac and an apple airport base station. Since the imac doesnt have any kind of HD upgrades, I have 3 external drives I use. I have one for TimeMachine, one for iTunes and one spare. I want to clean everything up and build my own home server. I have been doing some research and Im not sure what i need and dont need. I was going to pick up a cheap dual 867Mhz G4 off ebay. I wanted to use this as the server. I was going to either fill it with some hard drives, depending on what is the max it supports. If it doesn't support a couple of TBs then I guess I would have to get some kind of external raid case and fill it up and attach it with a eSata cable.

The main thing I want to do is be able to do is put this G4 in another room and just have my imac by itself and a laptop, both being able to back up to the G4 and access data. I also would like to be able to access one or all of the HDs remotely when im at work or somewhere else. I am just not sure what the minimum I would need to do this, or what the best solution is. Im not looking to spend a fortune doing it. Thanks for all your help, I hope this post makes sense lol.

You may just want to wait a week or so and see if this rumor is true. Might save you time and money...

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
thanks. That sounds like it would be a good idea, but im sure it will be pricey when/if it comes out. I think im going to stick to my original idea, anyone have any suggestions.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's really easy. You'll need a monitor for the initial setup.

You'll have to check on the maximum capacity of the IDE controller on your G4. I think the QuickSilver G4's only support up to 128GB. Not sure about the "Wind Tunnel." You may need a controller card.

Use OWC's selection page to decide about your particular model.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Models.cfm?TI=4506

G4
1. Install 10.5 Leopard with all updates.
2. Connect your USB drives.
3. Turn on file and screen sharing.

iMac and MacBook
1. Mount the now shared drives (or folders) from the G4 (Go -> Network)
2. Drag the "shares" that pop-up on your desktop into your Accounts -> Log-in so they auto mount.
3. Tell Time Machine to backup to the appropriate "share" (drive and folder).

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
that does seem pretty easy. What about accessing them remotely? how would I go about that. Do I need a VPN? Ive been reading on but not exactly 100% sure what it is

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
that does seem pretty easy. What about accessing them remotely? how would I go about that. Do I need a VPN? Ive been reading on but not exactly 100% sure what it is

How remotely? Like via screen sharing on your local network? Or over the Internet? Screen sharing is built-in to 10.5 Leopard.

The easiest way to get over the Internet "screen sharing/remote desktop" is using "Back to My Mac" which is part of Apple's MobileMe service. It's VPN-ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_To_My_Mac

You can get MobileMe for $69 at Amazon (use our MacRumors affiliate link). Or on eBay for around $55. It's $99 from Apple.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have literally just completed a project that is almost identical to what you are trying to do. I have set up everything with the exception of the remote internet access because I do not need that. Here's the thread. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I want to be able to at least access one of the HDs remotely. When I say remotely I mean when Im at work or outside of my home network.

GordonShumway

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
I'm not sure if you really need a G4 server, it just consumes a lot of power and takes up lots of space. There are many NAS cases out there (external harddisks that can be plugged in a network router) that have nice server capabilities. Take the ones from Synology for example (http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS207+/index.php), I'm currently in the same situation like you and decided to get one of these NAS cases. Then you put in some harddisks and plug it into your airport base station. It has builtin webserver, iTunes server etc. and you can configure it so you can access it from work or outside of your home. Do a google search for some reviews, it sounds pretty good to me.
It's maybe an easier solution than having a G4 server, and it might suit all your needs.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I also think you should look at getting a NAS. It's going to cost you less in the long run (energy usage... and larger drives are guaranteed to work). The one the previous poster posted (for SATA drives) is available from Newegg.

Since these are external drives, do you mind cracking them open? What capacity are they? And what interface (PATA or SATA)?

For remote access, that has to be set up through your router. What model router do you have?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Don't discount the possibility of getting a dirt cheap PC and installing Linux on it. Or even Windows XP for running iTunes and some sort of UPnP/DLNA media server for streaming videos and music to other devices around the house. I bought a used PC for this purpose for $50.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have two 1TB external drive, both are Western Digital and one is 2 500GB HDs in one enclosure. As far as a router I have an Apple Airport Base Station. I know I can share a hard drive over the network, and I have that setup on my imac, Im just not sure about accessing it remotely off my network.

I wouldnt mind opening the enclosures, but honestly im a little scared unless I transfer them to another HD. my plan was to just buy some internal ones, transfer my data then maybe sell the external drives.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have two 1TB external drive, both are Western Digital and one is 2 500GB HDs in one enclosure. As far as a router I have an Apple Airport Base Station. I know I can share a hard drive over the network, and I have that setup on my imac, Im just not sure about accessing it remotely off my network.

I would still recommend MobileMe. You could remote into your iMac from a MacBook via the Internet, then access your external drives through your iMac.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Hmm..

is that Synology DS207+ a good product to hook upto an AEBS(G) as a music and file server?

We have a lot of pictures/music/videos and other documents on our MacPro which need to be shared onto the MBP from time to time but it doesnt make sense to have copys of the files on two computers or keeping the MacPro on 24/7.

Would be a good alternative

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Sounds like you want something like a ReadNAS NV+ that has a built in iTunes server. The only drawback is it is expensive.

Its expensive and its going to cost a total of $1300+ to put 4 TB in the thing.

I'd recommend the Iomega StorCenter x2. Its about half the price of the ReadNAS, already includes 2TB and is really easy to use. It has a print server and a media server which works perfectly with iTunes. I connected it to my AEBS and installed the software to my Mac Pro and set up the drive in less than 5 minutes.

Can't say anything bad about it, it has been working perfectly since i got it.

K3mp

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
Don't discount the possibility of getting a dirt cheap PC and installing Linux on it. Or even Windows XP for running iTunes and some sort of UPnP/DLNA media server for streaming videos and music to other devices around the house. I bought a used PC for this purpose for $50.
I just got my uncle's old PC. It has gigabit ethernet and Ubuntu on it. I just control it using VNC and it works really well.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
for remote access just setup SSH, it is more secure than just opening up a port for AFP on your router, and there are discussions over mobileme's back-to-my-mac as to if it is really secure right now. Plus SSH is free.

Write back if you need it, i'll write instructions on how to ssh and forward ports so that you can remotely access your files and use screen sharing (assuming you use a mac at work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.