Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

useydess

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
Camarillo CA
i've been currently trying to set up screen sharing between a OS X leopard powerpc and 2013 Macbook pro big sur, i've tried to connect from the 2013 but to no such luck, they are on the same network, is the age gap too great for them to connect to one another?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
i've been currently trying to set up screen sharing between a OS X leopard powerpc and 2013 Macbook pro big sur, i've tried to connect from the 2013 but to no such luck, they are on the same network, is the age gap too great for them to connect to one another?
Leopard/PCC and late OSX use different versions of AFP.
You may replace the AppleFileServer.app on Your intel-Mac's macOS with the version coming from Leopard/PPC.
I did that successfully up to Mojave. But You have to disable SIP first, before You can replace AppleFileServer.app on Sierra/HighSierra/Mojave.
Look here: #56 and there: #1 .
That will make a PPC a nice ScreenSharing/FileSharing-Client using the horsepower and connectivity of a newer and more capable 'late'early-intel machine.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
You may also link Your question in either the "Early Intel Macs" or "PowerPC Macs" subforum for greater audience and maybe more ideas about alternatives ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.