Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I've added the person's email address and when they click on the link to the zip file, their Mac asks them which program to use to open it.
I've checked it on my Mac (although obviously I'm logged into iCloud so the result might be different) and it immediately starts to retrieve and unpack the zip file.
Why can't the other person simply download the zip file and unpack it on their Mac?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
They'll have some crappy third-party ZIP application installed. I'd recommend they change their default to Archive Utility and then it should work as expected.

They can do this by creating a ZIP file on their machine and then changing the default for all via Get Info.

Reactions: Weaselboy

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
They'll have some crappy third-party ZIP application installed. I'd recommend they change their default to Archive Utility and then it should work as expected.

They can do this by creating a ZIP file on their machine and then changing the default for all via Get Info.
Thanks, I'll ask them to give that a try. So in theory, it's very simple to do I guess. Just haven't tried before. My plan B is to use Google Drive so I'm uploading to that as well to see if there's a difference at the other end.
It's 8GB so I can't use Maildrop, hence the need to use iCloud Drive

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.