Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxknowsbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
Kansas
I got a 2017 Air the other day. Its my first mac ever so its all a little foreign to me. I downloaded Mojave and tried to update it from High Sierra. When ever I go to update it says that the drive is being encrypted. Is this normal and just takes a few days to complete after getting a new Mac?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You're going to have to be more specific. The upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave should not include encrypting your SSD with FileVault without your permission. Did you by chance give it permission to do so? Or did you by chance turn on FileVault prior to downloading and attempting to install Mojave?

Foxknowsbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2018
Kansas
You're going to have to be more specific. The upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave should not include encrypting your SSD with FileVault without your permission. Did you by chance give it permission to do so? Or did you by chance turn on FileVault prior to downloading and attempting to install Mojave?
I'll have to look after work. I remember it asking me something about encryption when I was setting it up, but cant recall what. I'm sure I clicked yes to turn it on though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.