Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
It's "okay". Keyboard connects to iPad via Bluetooth. Keyboard wake seems to have a tiny delay of course, but after that, it's instant. I'm coming from the Logitech Combo Touch (first iPad Pro 12.9 5th version), so it has the slightly warped rubber around the speaker sections. I had that one for 2.5 years. Loved it, but wanted to try something different.

I like how the Zagg Pro Keys iPad case has redirected/front facing speaker holes and molded Apple Pencil charging groove.

A few things I'll miss:

Not able to stand the iPad without the keyboard case--would have to buy a separate stand.
Keyboard connecting to iPad Pro via pogo pins.

I have a Magic Keyboard clone coming in a few weeks so I'll be testing that one out to see if i like the design enough to possibly get the official one sometime (or wait/see if the new one in 2024 is compatible with the M1 and above iPad Pros).

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
After a few days of using just the ZAGG Pro Keys w Touchpad on my iPad Pro 12.9, a few things I definitely miss:

Not having a built-in kickstand in the case (ala Logitech Combo Touch). I feel like I have to compromise a bit with now having to buy stands to prop it up in places that I normally wouldn’t have to (at my desk, nightstand, side table, body/chest).

The keyboard and key travel is nice. Feels a bit more tactile than on the Logitech Combo Touch. I’m not a huge fan of the material in the keyboard portion. Feels like suede, but also feels more plastic/smooth. Another thing I miss is that there are no dedicated screen brightness keys on the ZAGG Pro Keys keyboard. It’s harder to adjust iPad angle with the flaps on the back and magnets.

So with that said, not sure if I am going to keep this as my main Case/Keyboard combo.

I will attach some photos showing the ZAGG Pro Keys setup And show you what I mean by the back flaps for adjusting angle.

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpeg
    IMG_3964.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3965.jpeg
    IMG_3965.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 56

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I was just debating this versus something else? Maybe an ESR Ascend case?

How well does the back thingie hold up the iPad Pro? Is it locked in place if you push on it pretty hard?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I was just debating this versus something else? Maybe an ESR Ascend case?

How well does the back thingie hold up the iPad Pro? Is it locked in place if you push on it pretty hard?
It’s locked into place with certain intervals where the magnets on the flap is aligned with the magnets in the actual iPad case. You can kind of push the flap down so it’s a slightly different angle, but it won’t stay there permanently or if you move the whole shabang somewhere else.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I got the other Magic Keyboard-like accessory in. This is the Typecase Edge branding. I'll post photos in the next few days. From a cursory look, it has the needed Function/Media keys that the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard has, and different color backlighting. Keys feel nice and responsive, same with trackpad area. Has a 12 month warranty.

I'll definitely want to put a cover/snap-on case just to add a little protection while using it.

Update on Zagg:
As far as comparing the Zagg Pro Keys w/ Touchpad accessory. Honestly, the only thing I liked about that case/keyboard combo was the iPad case that had good protection and encased the iPad well, along with the front-facing speaker holes, and Apple Pencil cutout on top. Although if I may add, the front-facing speaker holes don't really add much sound direction that one would think. Sounds about the same. Mileage may vary.

The keyboard accessory is still awful--I hate how I can't freely adjust the iPad's angle while magnetized to the keyboard case. It's a bit of a mess.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
This is the Typecase Edge.

Overall, it’s very nice. Keys press down and are responsive. Has 12 different backlit color options and best of all, it has the adequate media/function row keys on the top, including the screen brightness/dim keys. Features Bluetooth connectivity (not Magic Keyboard pogo pins) and charges via USB-C.

I also have a Mytrix iPad Pro 12.9 case ($39.99) to use and it has a spot to protect the Apple Pencil on top. It’s a decent cover/case, but I had to use double sided tape on the bottom two corners where it would keep lifting up. The tabs on the bottom half wouldn’t latch onto the iPad no matter what I did, but the double-sided tape does hold it in place.

As far as the fit and finish of the Typecase Edge. I do like it, it seems to wake with a few seconds delay, but after that, everything is good. The outside of the keyboard has that plastic that is finger/oil print prone. Maybe I’ll resort to putting some kind of matte-finish skin.

With all this said, I think I found the keyboard/case combo that I’ll stick with moving forward.

I have put some photos of how the case looks on my iPad. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpeg
    IMG_4006.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4004.jpeg
    IMG_4004.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4008.jpeg
    IMG_4008.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4002.jpeg
    IMG_4002.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 53

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
That looks very nice! Do you find your fingers hitting the screen when you hit the top row of keys?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Having a trackpad issue with my Logitech Combo Touch...will have to return. Will definitely look into alternatives like the edge...

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Having a trackpad issue with my Logitech Combo Touch...will have to return. Will definitely look into alternatives like the edge...
What issue? I used to have a sporadic issue on the Logitech Combo Touch where the touchpad would stop working. Just have to disconnect the keyboard and reconnect it.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
What issue? I used to have a sporadic issue on the Logitech Combo Touch where the touchpad would stop working. Just have to disconnect the keyboard and reconnect it.
Yes, but I am not going to tolerate having to do it several times an hour. Also, as time went on, it also would jump across the screen erratically. Either way, not good enough given the price. It's going back.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I honestly decided to just go with a fancy stand type of case and forgo the keyboard. Stick with using my M1 MacBook Pro for that stuff and use my iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 for tablet-y type of stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.