Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
**** no.
We don't need any of what you (currently like or want)
I want Apple to have a not too high number of SKUs and make more profits. So you don't need Apple to make more profits? Okaaaaaayyyyy then.

Kind of agree. The 5.5" iPhone 6 is huge. I hope it isn't the flagship iPhone with the better camera, better image stabilization, and better display. That would be like punishing people who use normal sized phones. If the 5.5" and 4.7" iPhone have feature parity, outside of display pixel density, then I'll be happy. If not I may keep my iPhone 5 for a while.
I agree totally.

Says who?

The market certainly wants them. Each time I read a comment like that I wonder what is wrong with humanity.

I don't want a stupid pathetic small screen either, but I'm not stupid so I understand that millions might want it.
The market wanted netbooks. But Apple said no, the market wants crap so we will make better, and they did in the iPad. This time around the market wants the jack of all trades phablets, but Apple this time is just making a "me too" phablet and not something better.

People want phablets because there is no phablet beater out there at the moment for the phablet junkies. Apple had a great opportunity to make a phablet beater, but it seems Apple will not do this if the rumours are true.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Kind of agree. The 5.5" iPhone 6 is huge. I hope it isn't the flagship iPhone with the better camera, better image stabilization, and better display. That would be like punishing people who use normal sized phones. If the 5.5" and 4.7" iPhone have feature parity, outside of display pixel density, then I'll be happy. If not I may keep my iPhone 5 for a while.

Even if Apple takes advantage of the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 to add a slightly improved camera with OIS, the 4.7" iPhone will still be a great phone with a very good camera.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Even if Apple takes advantage of the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 to add a slightly improved camera with OIS, the 4.7" iPhone will still be a great phone with a very good camera.

Absolutely. Without question. I think you'll find the 5.5" and 4.7" really address 2 different markets. The price of the 5.5" will also make the choice for many. :apple:

----------

I'm sorry, but the concept of two suppliers making the same chip scares me.
No way in earth will they be perfectly identical to the nanometer.

Relax. It's the future. ;)

gordon1hd1

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
16nm is a marketing LIE!!!

In fact, it really is 20nm with some added features (finFET). If samsung/glofo is really doing 14nm finFET, that mean the TSMC chip is going to be way behind.

For reference. Currently intel hashwell and bay-trial is both running on 22nm finFET, which is the closest to the "16nm" TSMC is marketing. But Intel is going to have 14nm 2nd gen finFET processor ready end of this year and all of next year. (Broadwell and Airmont/Goldmont ATOM)

Source:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319679
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...m-finfet-tapeout-of-big-little-cortex-a57-soc

:mad:

mschmalenbach

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
14nm, 16nm, 1nm - what gives?

The talk of 14nm, 16nm, or even 1nm, is interesting...

Marketing can blur the lines between for example, routing being on say a 16nm basis, and the main structures that make up a transistor being on a larger one, say 20 or 22nm.

The issue of whether there is enough demand to produce enough chips, and spreading across 14nm and 16nm to cope with this perhaps a 'red herring' - with TSMC and others moving from 300mm to 450mm wafers, significantly more devices can be made per wafer, even more so if they are made at 14nm rather than say, 22nm. So the demand issue may be less negative than it seems - the true demand is there, and growing perhaps, but can be met by a smaller number of fabs... which would really reduce operating costs...

The physics of Moore's Law running out at around 5nm may be a non-sequitur in that the financials become the dominating issue around 7nm. The cost of the equipment, fab, and then mask sets for 7nm devices are now so expensive when spread across the devices being built, that it is MORE expensive to build at 7nm say, than at 10-12nm. The development costs at the 7nm node are huge in comparison to at the 20nm node, and 22nm has proven a challenge for Intel, so...

We are probably seeing the practical end of 50+ years of shrinking... and the falsehood of lower costs year after year (lower costs are not the same as lower prices!).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
In fact, it really is 20nm with some added features (finFET). If samsung/glofo is really doing 14nm finFET, that mean the TSMC chip is going to be way behind.

For reference. Currently intel hashwell and bay-trial is both running on 22nm finFET, which is the closest to the "16nm" TSMC is marketing. But Intel is going to have 14nm 2nd gen finFET processor ready end of this year and all of next year. (Broadwell and Airmont/Goldmont ATOM)

Source:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319679
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...m-finfet-tapeout-of-big-little-cortex-a57-soc

:mad:

finFET is still a significant advancement and will have power savings over "normal" 20nm. Intel is interesting from a technical standpoint but somewhat irrelevant until they decide to open up their fabs to significant volume partners. Panasonic was a nice step, but it's not clear if they're willing to have their own mobile chips threatened when their process advantage is taken away from them.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Apple's reported current A-series chip partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is ahead of schedule ...

Yay.

This advancement may pave the way for TSMC to supply Apple with the future A9 processor ...

Great.

GlobalFoundries, TSMC and possibly even Intel may be used to complement Samsung's production to provide the remaining chip inventory necessary to meet Apple's demand.

This is the most important sentence in the story. Getting Intel involved would be a massive coup for both Apple and Intel. This would simultaneously bring a world-leading supplier into Apple's mix of AX SoC fabricators and make Intel relevant in the post-PC era. And Intel might eventually be able to ramp up production enough to replace Samsung as Apple's main mobile SoC supplier.

jaochoui

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2013
The market wanted netbooks. But Apple said no, the market wants crap so we will make better, and they did in the iPad. This time around the market wants the jack of all trades phablets, but Apple this time is just making a "me too" phablet and not something better.

It's important to remind yourself that "crap" is your opinion, not a fact.

Also, I highly doubt Apple says no to a market purely for the sake of saying no. They said "no" to the netbook because they believed what they were coming up with or could come up with (iPad) was better, but only after careful analysis, I'm sure. In the case of the (still-rumoured) larger iPhones, they likely did the same, but this time saw something/opportunity in the larger phones, and said "yes".

Of cause I do. Long term it's not a good strategy to have too many pointless SKUs. 1990's Apple is proof of this. Jobs understood this. I'm not sure if Cook and co do.
Again, "pointless" is your opinion. And you can't even use that since the products are not even out yet.

I mean, they could be roaring successes, or they could be utter failures. But at this point, nobody knows. They might even consider the 4-inch phone to be "pointless" and drop those.

Again, wait till the phones themselves are out (they are still rumors at present) before we pass judgement.

Whatever the state of phablets now, let's at least have some faith that Apple could make them useful.

I mean, who knows what plans they have for us? Let's wait and see, simply put. ;)
People want phablets because there is no phablet beater out there at the moment for the phablet junkies. Apple had a great opportunity to make a phablet beater, but it seems Apple will not do this if the rumours are true.

Or, more likely, people like phablets because they like them. Clear and straightforward.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
It's important to remind yourself that "crap" is your opinion, not a fact.
Jobs said at the keynote that netbooks were good for nothing. So that is an opinion that I share with Jobs.

Also, I highly doubt Apple says no to a market purely for the sake of saying no. They said "no" to the netbook because they believed what they were coming up with or could come up with (iPad) was better, but only after careful analysis, I'm sure. In the case of the (still-rumoured) larger iPhones, they likely did the same, but this time saw something/opportunity in the larger phones, and said "yes".

Apple didn't say no to the netbook market. They understood it and made a product that satisfied their needs better than any netbook ever could. SO far the rumours are saying Apple not doing the same with the phablets if they are true.

It's important to remind yourself that "crap" is your opinion, not a fact. Again, "pointless" is your opinion. And you can't even use that since the products are not even out yet.
That's the entire point. Don't release them in the first place. That was the first thing Jobs did when returned to Apple is to kill the pointless SKUs (be them released or still in development). Apple used to be known for a small number of the best products out there. But now, who knows. Apple is fattening their line up all the time. And apart from making more money there seems to be no real reason to it.

I mean, they could be roaring successes, or they could be utter failures. But at this point, nobody knows. They might even consider the 4-inch phone to be "pointless" and drop those.
In terms of profits you could be right. But in terms of the best products for the customers, this is very debatable. The phablet loving crowd and the anti-phablet crowd would never agree on this,

Whatever the state of phablets now, let's at least have some faith that Apple could make them useful.
We shall wait and see. Can Apple turn this jack of all trades and very good at nothing device around into something amazing? It is possible, but only time will tell if Apple can or will do this.

I mean, who knows what plans they have for us? Let's wait and see, simply put. ;)
Agreed :)

Or, more likely, people like phablets because they like them. Clear and straightforward.
Agreed. People have their reasons for liking products that are clearly not the best at anything. And they sell well. I don't understand how people can like products that are very good at nothing, but millions do and that's what part of the market place is these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.