Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredpeyton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I would like advice from anyone who has ever built a website. I'm a non-techie who wants a simple blog for my business. I read that with Tumblr you are giving up ownership http://wpvsblogger.com/tumblr-vs-wordpress/. I personally never heard of a Tumblr site being shut down. Is that possible? I like Tumblr because it is free and it's a community based platform which I believe is going to help me. However, I would like full ownership. Should I just go with WordPress or would I be safe with Tumblr? I covet all advice that you are willing to give.

Thanks so much,
Jared

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I would like advice from anyone who has ever built a website. I'm a non-techie who wants a simple blog for my business. I read that with Tumblr you are giving up ownership http://wpvsblogger.com/tumblr-vs-wordpress/. I personally never heard of a Tumblr site being shut down. Is that possible? I like Tumblr because it is free and it's a community based platform which I believe is going to help me. However, I would like full ownership. Should I just go with WordPress or would I be safe with Tumblr? I covet all advice that you are willing to give.

Thanks so much,
Jared
You want a free website for a business?

Wordpress is free:
https://wordpress.com/#plans

Or you could certainly use tumblr or one of the many, many hundreds of choices out there. You must read the EULA for each very carefully, as most 'free' things in life cost something. In the web world it costs content and advertisements. Your content may be used in advertising that has nothing to do with your philosophy.

By submitting Content to Automattic for inclusion on your website, you grant Automattic a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and promoting your blog. This license allows Automattic to make publicly-posted content available to third parties selected by Automattic (through the Automattic Firehose, for example) so that these third parties can analyze and distribute (but not publicly display) your content through their services. You also give other WordPress.com users permission to share your Content on other WordPress.com websites and add their own Content to it (aka to reblog your Content), so long as they use only a portion of your post and they give you credit as the original author by linking back to your website (the reblogging function on WordPress.com does this automatically!).

The best advice I can give is to contact a local developer. They can get you around the 'noob' hurdles and get you up and running quickly. Again, there is a cost for everyone's time and expertise.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Depends on what your blog is about and how your audience have to find you.

WordPress is very open and basically helps you create. WordPress is only the software that you use that helps you create content and show it online.
It comes in two flavors, do it yourself (wordpress.org) or hosted (wordpress.com). Bought are basically the same software, tools and platforms but the .com version is hosted by them and you can use it for Free like you can use Facebook, Twitter or YouTubd for free.
Using wordpress.org is downloading and installing the software yourself on a web hosting bought and paid by you. You will ever compete control about anything on or at your site.

Tumblr is a bit different. It's more a social media type of platform. It's more about microblogging. This means, often you don't even post content yourself but only republish content from someone else that you like.
It's more like Twitter. You can still post you own stuff but you can also 'retweet'. Plus. It's more common that your followers are known Tumblr folks. If your audience are local people in your town you have to reach via communities nearby or whatever, you probably better pick WordPress.

kirasmart

Suspended
Feb 7, 2017
WordPress is a really good platform, but it’s fairly advanced for non-techies. Using a website builder would be much easier, in my opinion. No matter which way you will opt for to go, keep in mind that your website won't get traffic without SEO. You can learn hor to optimize your website or use the help of SEO expert . Anyway, good luck!

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
WordPress. They're both free, but WordPress you can self-host (not free, but maybe you'll want that down the line).

Tumblr has pulled content. I remember an instance of the NBA pulling someone's blog but I can't dig up the actual story details.

I did find a NY Times article on Tumbler pulling a few based on attacking other bloggers:
https://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/tumblr-shuts-down-5-anonymous-blogs-why/

I'm pretty sure there are Tumblr plug-ins for Wordpress sites, too, so that could be an option, too.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Outside of the already mentioned points, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a business site using Tumblr. It's a great platform for what it is but isn't very professional.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Sounds like you're a small business that just wants to have a website so people can find out more about your business. wordpress has a good name, and it's easy enough to set up a simple couple of pages. Nice templates, easy to populate, and good training and help. Things get way more complicated if your business is content-based,, or you want to enable transactions (credit card payments) for example. Expect to spend a few hours setting it up.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
+1 for Wordpress, tons of plugins and themes for any price point, not to mention a huge community to help you, if you need help.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
+1 on Wordpress.

Also, you might consider hosting a Wordpress setup from wordpress.org rather than wordpress.com, since you on the .com version do not have full customizability.

With the .org version you will need to install it yourself on a compatible web host, but it doesn't take more than a few minutes.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Thanks so much,
Jared
As ever in these kind of questions - the tools (tumblr, wordpress etc) are irrelevant at this stage - what is it truly that you’d like to achieve...Forget about the technologies for now...

All you have shared is that you want a simple blog for your business. You then continue to state that you believe a community based platform is going to help you, but you would like full ownership.

What is your primary goal? What is it that you’d like to achieve? Who or what do you want to communicate with and with what aim? What other channels of communications do you already have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.