Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlfT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
For the last week TuneIn has not been working on my Apple Music, HomePod and iPhone at least with news stations. If I ask my HomePod to play MSNBC or FOX News it plays a "TuneIn" jingle, then an ad and then nothing. I reached out to TuneIn and after some investigation they said it appears to be an Apple problem. There are lots of clumsy workarounds but since Apple limits the sources that can be played on a HomePod I would like this to work seamlessly. Any suggestions?

abraver

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2022
I’m having the same issue.

What are the workarounds you’ve found (clumsy or otherwise)?

AlfT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
There is a TuneIn app for the iPhone which works fine. You can play MSNBC or Fox (or whatever) and AirPlay it to a HomePod or listen directly to one of the sources from the app.
I've been on the phone with Apple off and on all day and I'm unclear if they know that this is an issue or if they somehow think it's my problem only-even through I told them I could replicate it on a friends phone on a different wifi. If I get any resolution I'll post it.

Reactions: abraver

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I had a problem with TuneIn not playing on my HomePod. Rebooting it seemed to help. Unless that was just a coincidence.

AlfT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I tried that with no success. I also cannot get those news sources from TuneIn to play on the Apple Music app so I don't think it's related to the HomePod specifically. I also tried it on a friends iPhone last night on a different wifi and his phone had the same problem.

abraver

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2022
FWIW, this problem has resolved itself for me this evening. Hopefully it has for everyone else, too.

AlfT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
It's working for me this morning as well. Not sure if my spending most of a day on the phone with Apple had anything to do with it but they seemed to have resolved the problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.