Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
A while back I posted that I was looking for a crazy way to get internet at the school my church rents. Well, the school flip-flopped and gave us access to their LAN. One thing we wanted to do was experiment with streaming live internet. This I know how to do as I have done it before with QTSS and QuickTime Broadcaster. I set up a Mac at home on my DSL line with Dawrin QTSS and got it working great, including streaming to it from outside my home network.

I went to try it at the school. The school has a proxy server for all web access and apparently has most ports locked down. I couldn't get Broadcaster to talk to my home QTSS, but I did have access to the web admin for the QTSS. (error 5420 which I have found means it can't find the server).

Is there a way to build a tunnel through an open port to my QTSS via SSH or something and have Broadcaster find the server that way? Home box is running 10.4.11 and Darwin QTSS 5.5.5 (6 only runs on Leopard), Broadcaster is on my MacBook running Leopard.

I am going to try and work with the IT people at the school district to see if they can open something up and work for us even more. Any ideas?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you enable Remote Login on your home system, and forward TCP 22 inbound to your box on your router, then you should be able to SSH in.

I'd check out:

http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Port_Forwarding.html

It has some commands for you to use.

Also, note if you get some choppiness from your video, it could very well be the overhead of encrypting/decrypting the data stream to your home box.

Good luck!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If your router is Linux-based (seems routers are a hot topic today), you could potentially install OpenVPN, and VPN directly to the router. Then you can just modify the router properties to allow whatever ports you need inbound to your system.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
My home router is an AirPort. That end isn't the problem. I can put the mac I want in a DMZ and turn off the firewall. The problem end is getting out of the school network. If I can get out of there, getting into my home server shouldn't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.