Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I installed Turbo Boost Switcher and I like it except for one thing. When I start my Mac or sometimes even unlock the screen it asks for the admin password to keep it working. Is there any setting I can change to tell my Mac to permanently allow it to do its thing?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I just happened to be messing around with it and saw there was a "Pro" paid version. Apparently entering the password every time the computer does something was just a little annoyance added to the free version to make people consider upgrading. I decided the app was worth paying the $10 for the dev's time since I do like the app. Now after entering the password once after install it's good to go! In case anyone else had the same issue I figured I would update this post.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The pro version also adds the ability to have settings (on/off) on a per-app basis. So if you want TurboBoost to be available in Photoshop but not Safari, you can do that.

One thing about the app though. If you buy a new Mac, you have to get in touch with the developer to get a new license key. The license keys are tied to the Mac hardware. It's a minor annoyance, but still something to keep in mind.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I can see what it is doing but why would you Slow down your Mac?
I mostly use it when I'm running F@H because it makes my mini run a little cooler

Most of the time when I don't have that on I'm on Firefox browsing websites or watching videos on YouTube. For stuff like that there's no difference because it uses the CPU so little. It doesn't matter if you have an overclocked water cooled gaming PC it's still only going to load the page at the speed of your internet connection.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I can see what it is doing but why would you Slow down your Mac?
It doesn't slow down your Mac. It simply prevents the turbo boost feature from kicking in - which will only save you milliseconds on any given task (barring extended periods of time doing heavy processor tasks).

Reactions: russell_314

Wonder Warthog

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Even on heavier tasks the TurboBooster often will heat up your machine so quickly that it'll have to throttle the CPU and you're back to square one. I can't wait to get off that intel crap soon. I'm just waiting for the release of the M3 Pro next year…

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
That software saved my sanity when I had an Intel-based MacBook Pro. Thankfully, I've rid myself of all the Intel-based Macs I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.