Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Is the plan that the RX 580 (or other AMD GPU) will be made available for purchase directly from Apple with PCIe/eGPU support after the beta period? Or do they need to be purchased through the eGPU program once out of beta?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Is the plan that the RX 580 (or other AMD GPU) will be made available for purchase directly from Apple with PCIe/eGPU support after the beta period? Or do they need to be purchased through the eGPU program once out of beta?

I don’t understand the second question. What do you mean by eGPU program? I don’t know if anyone knows if Apple will be selling graphics cards to the public like the Dev kit.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Very, very unlikely. The eGPU dev kit is most definitely a 'one off' IMO.

Yeah, and it’s not Apple’s own product. I think it’s possible they may offer their own product. When TB3 came out there were prototypes of small mobile GPU based eGPUs. Apple may offer something like that of their own proprietary design.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I don’t understand the second question. What do you mean by eGPU program? I don’t know if anyone knows if Apple will be selling graphics cards to the public like the Dev kit.

Basically curious what the long-term plan is with Apple supporting eGPU and if it's only (officially) through their "setup in box" configurations (like the Dev kit is), or if additional cards and setups will be supported. I'm not part of the beta program, but very interested in GPU support for my workflows. Since I'm on a TB2 MacBook Pro and PCIe Mac Pro figured the beta was not really beneficial unless I purchased a new MacBook Pro...

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
macOS-certified eGPU will be sold as a package solution. You're buying the Apple sanctioned Thunderbolt 3 enclosure and GPU together. In this current market, that may be a good thing because Apple has strong negotiation power and likely won't inflate GPU price.

Reactions: itdk92

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have you tried 10.13.4 with an Nvidia card yet?

The NVIDIA driver requirements with non-EFI cards could make this difficult, but if 10.13.4 changes the way all GPUs work with the OS (not just for AMD) it may be possible. If I can get the beta installed on a clean spare drive in the next week or two, maybe could give it a shot with my GTX 680 official Mac version. No way I would attempt with the non-EFI GTX 1080 unless the GTX 680 for Mac fully works.

Reactions: Synchro3

MacManu77

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
No need to do this anymore with 10.13.4! The following cards are now correctly identified!

-Radeon RX 580
-Radeon Pro WX 7100
-Radeon Pro WX 5100

-Radeon RX 570
-Radeon RX 480
-Radeon RX 470
-Radeon Pro WX 4100
-Radeon RX 460
-Radeon RX 560
-Radeon RX 550
-Radeon Pro WX 9100
-Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
-Radeon RX Vega 64
-Radeon RX Vega 56

Among the first 3 which would be preferable to install in a mac pro 2010?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Yeah it depends. The RX 580 will have the best general performance out of those 3, but the WX cards would be necessary for certain professional apps like SolidWorks. The WX 7100 has about the performance of an RX 570. The WX 5100 has about the performance of an RX 560. As single slot cards with a small fan the WX cards are not very suitable for gaming, but are suitable for the uses most people probably use a Mac Pro for. I would say if you don't game then go with one of the WX cards, but if you game then go for the RX 580. The WX cards can be registered with AMD for a 7 year warranty. They have the highest binned chips.

Last edited:

thephased

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Any update on flashing a Nitro+ RX 580 to the recognized Pulse bios? I'd like to replace this MSI 7950 (Mac bios) even if it means giving up the boot screen.

Returned those XFX Vega 56 (nano pcb) cards.. My fault. PSU does not even boot both of them. XFX quality control seems like crap anyway with clicking fans, good thermals, but seemingly unoptimized clocks on states 5-7.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Any update on flashing a Nitro+ RX 580 to the recognized Pulse bios? I'd like to replace this MSI 7950 (Mac bios) even if it means giving up the boot screen.

Returned those XFX Vega 56 (nano pcb) cards.. My fault. PSU does not even boot both of them. XFX quality control seems like crap anyway with clicking fans, good thermals, but seemingly unoptimized clocks on states 5-7.

I think there is no need to flash anymore. The latest macOS can recognise an unflashed RX580 without problem.

thephased

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
I think there is no need to flash anymore. The latest macOS can recognise an unflashed RX580 without problem.

Hah, this is true. It's late here. I meant..

Nitro+ for eGPU detect though?

Seems like more progress is needed for that, yeah?

Mcmonk

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2018
as a total novice I am trying to just make my MAcPro 5.1 ( High Sierra 10.13.3) work with a standard new Pulse RX 580 8GB - but cannot get it to work. I am replacing a Nvidia 780 which Nvidia drivers are not working in High Sierra. I thought the RX 580 would work out of the box without any flashing or other tricks?
Am I wrong or do I need to upgrade to 10.13.4 first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
as a total novice I am trying to just make my MAcPro 5.1 ( High Sierra 10.13.3) work with a standard new Pulse RX 580 8GB - but cannot get it to work. I am replacing a Nvidia 780 which Nvidia drivers are not working in High Sierra. I thought the RX 580 would work out of the box without any flashing or other tricks?
Am I wrong or do I need to upgrade to 10.13.4 first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Should just work out of the box however you won’t get boot screens.

- How are you powering the card?

- Do you have FileVault enabled? FileVault is not compatible with cards that do not show the boot screen.

- Did you uninstall the NVIDIA web driver prior to dropping in the 580?

- Have you tried a PRAM reset with the 580 in place?

Reactions: Synchro3

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Cheers!

Not working means nothing to display?

Mcmonk

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2018
Should just work out of the box however you won’t get boot screens.

I ordered a new dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin cable: seems to be working: fans are both running upon startup?

- Do you have FileVault enabled? FileVault is not compatible with cards that do not show the boot screen.
I do not use this.

No I did not, because I wanted t be sure to be able to go back to the 780 just in case.
here's the q: the Nvidia driver is set to macdriver - I had to go through some terminal uninstall of the startup of the Nvidia driver so it would NOT go to the web driver and I thought that should be ok with the 580, but maybe I need to uninstall the Nvidia driver completely? Just wondering: If that does not work - how can I go back to using the 780? I might end up with NO WAY of having a monitor and would not know how to make it work?

maybe I should create a second startup disk with just no Nvidia drivers and boot from there?

Also wondering: is there any way to tell I have a faulty card?

- Have you tried a PRAM reset with the 580 in place?

Should have tried this while the card was still in there. I am back to the 780. maybe worth to try before uninstalling the Nvidia driver?

THANK you for your information 88409!!! I appreciate it very much!
[doublepost=1521558617][/doublepost]
Should have tried this while the card was still in there. I am back to the 780. maybe worth to try before uninstalling the Nvidia driver?

THANK you for your information 88409!!! I appreciate it very much!

just learning how to post in a forum!! sorry: here's the missing part:

I ordered a new dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin cable: seems to be working: fans are both running upon startup?

I do not use this.

No I did not, because I wanted t be sure to be able to go back to the 780 just in case.
here's the q: the Nvidia driver is set to macdriver - I had to go through some terminal uninstall of the startup of the Nvidia driver so it would NOT go to the web driver and I thought that should be ok with the 580, but maybe I need to uninstall the Nvidia driver completely? Just wondering: If that does not work - how can I go back to using the 780? I might end up with NO WAY of having a monitor and would not know how to make it work?

maybe I should create a second startup disk with just no Nvidia drivers and boot from there?

Also wondering: is there any way to tell I have a faulty card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.