Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Is it possible to COMPLETELY turn off iphone backup? It is annoying that the iphone notifies several times a week that backup failed (because there's no space in iCloud and I will NOT pay for more space) or "this iphone is not backed up". I don't need a backup so these notifications are useless to me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've never done it but turning off "iCloud Backup" in your iCloud settings should take care of it.

Reactions: ericwn

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just slide the iCloud backup toggle to off in the cloud settings. You can also slide a toggle on your Mac in the iPhone finder window to not automatically back up to your Mac when you plug it in too.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Just slide the iCloud backup toggle to off in the cloud settings. You can also slide a toggle on your Mac in the iPhone finder window to not automatically back up to your Mac when you plug it in too.
For the Finder functions for iPhone and iPads, there's an auto sync option, but not an auto backup option.

3897BD48-D0C3-4EEC-A650-9EE446BACE62.jpeg

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
I've never done it but turning off "iCloud Backup" in your iCloud settings should take care of it.
But then the backup function turns on the "backup to mac" option, and if I toggle that off, then it turns on the ICloud option. To me it looks impossible to turn these both options off. I don't want to back up to Mac either because it's short of space too.. wouldn't that option backup everything on my iPhone to my Mac automatically? That's more than a hundred gigabytes.
I hope you understand what I mean, as I am terrible with English (not my native language).

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
But then the backup function turns on the "backup to mac" option, and if I toggle that off, then it turns on the ICloud option. To me it looks impossible to turn these both options off. I don't want to back up to Mac either because it's short of space too.. wouldn't that option backup everything on my iPhone to my Mac automatically? That's more than a hundred gigabytes.
I hope you understand what I mean, as I am terrible with English (not my native language).
No, because it's not an automatic backup, it's manual. You would have to tap the Back Up Now button to start it. Your English is very good, so don't worry about it.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
No, because it's not an automatic backup, it's manual. You would have to tap the Back Up Now button to start it.
But with the Mac option, the backup would happen automatically when syncing music library, for instance.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
But with the Mac option, the backup would happen automatically when syncing music library, for instance.
Yes, you're right about that. So as long as you have the right backup method selected (iCloud versus to the Mac encrypted or not), it should work that way too. To your original question, apparently then you wouldn't be able to sync without a backup being created either to iCloud or the Mac.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Close iTunes, open terminal and enter the following...

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true

Good luck, I had to look up that command because I never used it but I think its right.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Someone else who will blame everyone but themselves when they inevitably lose something and don't have a backup.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Someone else who will blame everyone but themselves when they inevitably lose something and don't have a backup.

I don’t need iCloud backup upload gigabytes of staff overnight chewing my data cap nor I want backups occupying gigabyte on iCloud Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.