Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hello,

In past versions of iOS, I could turn off iMessage notifications for everybody by going to Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone -> "None." Then, I could turn on iMessage notifications for individual contacts by going to Contacts -> [select contact] -> Edit -> Text Tone and change "default" to whatever notification sound I wanted. See attached screenshots (ignore the random artifacts in the screenshots; I edited the screenshots on a Galaxy Note so there are some extra things in the images that do not come from iOS).

On my wife's iPhone 8 running iOS 13.1, this no longer works. I simply do not get any iMessage notification sound for anybody, even the specific Contacts for whom I have set a specific "text tone" notification sound. However, if I go to Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone and select a sound, and then I go to Contacts -> [select contact] -> Edit -> Text Tone and select a DIFFERENT sound, it does correctly play the selected notification sound for individual contacts. But that's not what I want -- I want NO sound for most contacts, and then a sound for only certain contacts of my choosing.

Strangely, on my iPhone SE running iOS 13.1, everything still works fine -- I get iMessage notification sounds ONLY for the Contacts for whom I have set a specific "text tone" notification sound, and for everybody else iMessage is silent.

Is anybody else having the same problem on an iPhone 8? Can anybody suggest other settings I might have messed up on the iPhone 8 that are somehow preventing the iMessage notification sound from playing for the specific Contacts for whom I've set a notification sound?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 110
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.