Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lol.most android products are lucky to get even one update in a year.Microsoft Windows Phone works on near the same model as iOS and is better

Most iOS updates either introduce new bugs, drain the battery, or don't address issues. I can't remember the last iOS update that I was completely satisfied with. I'd rather have a relatively stable build that never gets updated to be honest.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Most iOS updates either introduce new bugs, drain the battery, or don't address issues. I can't remember the last iOS update that I was completely satisfied with. I'd rather have a relatively stable build that never gets updated to be honest.
Just as most fix some issues, it's just that not everyone always experiences the issues that are fixed. Quite a few introduce something as well, which might not be useful to everyone, but there are still things that are introduced nonetheless.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Does nobody jailbreak, anymore? Sorry Apple, but I refuse to let you break my software with a forced update on my phone.

It's incredibly presumptuous to not simply include a permanent ignore on update nagging. I've dismissed the nag 30+ times, so take a hint already! They can't anticipate every situation or configuration and screw them for attempting to do so.
I assume there a few iOS that can be jail broken, but I guess if you don't like move to another device maybe?

Depends how much it bugs you.

Bluesdealer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I assume there a few iOS that can be jail broken, but I guess if you don't like move to another device maybe?

Depends how much it bugs you.

... You do realize how absurd abandoning a perfectly good (and expensive) piece of hardware because of a single, asinine software design choice would be, right? And yes, iOS 9.02 can be jailbroken, just not 9.1... yet. The community is still alive and the tweaks are better than ever.

I just don't care about the incremental updates and have the feeling that I'm not the only one. I'll try the download and delete method, as obnoxious as that is, or see if someone writes a tweak to disable updates.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
... You do realize how absurd abandoning a perfectly good (and expensive) piece of hardware because of a single, asinine software design choice would be, right? And yes, iOS 9.02 can be jailbroken, just not 9.1... yet. The community is still alive and the tweaks are better than ever.

I just don't care about the incremental updates and have the feeling that I'm not the only one. I'll try the download and delete method, as obnoxious as that is, or see if someone writes a tweak to disable updates.

I never said drop it and go elsewhere I said move to another device, so wait until your contract is over etc then move on. I can't see what the massive issue is to be honest with the minor update. I find that more absurd not updating the device.

So you have two options, constantly spam no to the upgrade, or do it unfortunately.

Joe128j

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
Theer's no other way around. The above feature is hard-coded in to existing iOS. The only solution is:

Add the following entry in your router to block the DNS:
mesu.apple.com, 23.73.181.0/24

Or if you have Raspberry Pi functioning as router, add the following in iptables:
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -d 23.73.181.0/24 -j DROP #mesu.apple.com

Actually, although I am using apple's product, there is never any resason for my access any of hosts owned by apple, inc. So I am blocking all apple hosts:

sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -d 17.0.0.0/8 -j DROP #apple.com

Joe128j

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2015
Theer's no other way around. The above feature is hard-coded in to existing iOS. The only solution is:

Add the following entry in your router to block the DNS:
mesu.apple.com, 23.73.181.0/24

Or if you have Raspberry Pi functioning as router, add the following in iptables:
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -d 23.73.181.0/24 -j DROP #mesu.apple.com

Actually, although I am using apple's product, there is never any resason for my access any of hosts owned by apple, inc. So I am blocking all apple hosts:

sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -d 17.0.0.0/8 -j DROP #apple.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.