Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I don’t have mobile/cellular internet as my plan, only voice and text. Will the GPS work without cellular internet?

I do have Location Services turned On.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
If you have phone service then you will get GPS. If you have location services turned on and can see the location of your phone using 'Find My' from another device, then that will confirm it.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
GPS always works, but without cellular data services you’ll need to have pre-downloaded the necessary maps into memory for you navigate. You can download custom maps into the Google App, but I don’t think it is possible with Apple’s Maps App. However, I read that if you load the complete route into Apple’s Map App while on wifi, it should be able to navigate that specific route while on airplane mode - but you’ll be on your own if you take a wrong turn.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There are third party apps that allow you to install maps on your phone using wifi, then navigate without any data connection. TomTom and HERE are two of the better-known examples, HERE is the company that provides map data for Garmin's GPS devices.

As has already been said, the GPS does not require any kind of data connection, but Apple Maps does. These apps go beyond what Google can do offline, you could actually install maps of the whole world with them. Of course, this can take a significant amount of storage space, depending on how large a region you want to install.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
HERE WE GO app also needs internet connection. I tested this without WiFi connection…

I just downloaded and installed it using WiFi and then turned On Location Services and then turned Off WiFi, but seems this also requires cellular internet connection.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't use the app, but know you can download and install the maps for use without a data connection. You may need the paid version for that, don't know. See this

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don’t have mobile/cellular internet as my plan, only voice and text. Will the GPS work without cellular internet?

I do have Location Services turned On.
You can use the GPS signal itself without cellular (you'll get your timestamp signal, and the phone will triangulate). However, to get map data, you need cellular. In other words, you can use GPS, you just won't know where you are as your map will load grey as map data is not stored on-device.

Also, offline maps only work if the area where you are traveling is cached into your device's memory. That or you used the Google Maps option where you can actually download over Wi-Fi the map data for a selected area.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Also, offline maps only work if the area where you are traveling is cached into your device's memory. That or you used the Google Maps option where you can actually download over Wi-Fi the map data for a selected area.

This is not quite true, I posted two examples of apps where you can download maps either for your area or the whole world (if you have room). But the maps are not bundled in the app, you have to choose and download them after installing the app. If you don't, then the app will work in online mode, which requires a data connection.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Any route-planning map app that downloads the maps to your phone should be able to give you a route to your destination but it will be like an old GPS device with no data connection that can't consider traffic, road closures, one-way streets that change direction, and so forth.

In the past, I've used Google maps and have downloaded maps on it to travel in or through areas with poor data reception.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is not quite true, I posted two examples of apps where you can download maps either for your area or the whole world (if you have room). But the maps are not bundled in the app, you have to choose and download them after installing the app. If you don't, then the app will work in online mode, which requires a data connection.
You always need to download map data if you go offline. In my case, I download data via Google Maps for my Google Maps app, not another app. That is not what I meant.

Hence, when I lookup addresses within the downloaded boundaries in offline mode, it'll work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.