Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wedlock

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
St Willebrord , The Netherlands
Hi,

First of all if this has been posted before i'm sorry but the search tool didn't give me any threads.

I own a iPad Air 2022 and i just bought a magic keyboard for iPad Pro 11/iPad Air to use on this tablet.
So far everything is going well but what i was wondering is if there is a shortcut key function that can put the iPad into sleep mode without having to use the button on the iPad itself ?

Thanks for the replies in advance !

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
there is ⌃ ⌥ ⇧ ⌘ R predefined in Settings>Accessibility>Full Keyboard Access>Keyboards to restart an iPad. AFAIK nothing predefined to shutdown the device.

But - sometimes it’s marvelous if there is a “but”, isn’t it? 😎 - »Hey Siri, shutdown iPad« will make Siri present you with this dialogue:

IMG_2634.jpeg

from which you can shutdown your iPad (works at least on iPadOS 16 and 17 betas; of course you have to have Siri activate on your device; extended keyboard access is not needed).

❦❈❀❅❃❆✺❧❂✥✤✷✪

If you do not - for whatever reasons - want Siri, there is a another, slightly clunky IMHO, way:

IMG_2632.jpeg

• name it “Power Down” (or something) and save it (if you want you can pin it to iPadOS’s Share-menu from within the Shortcuts app).
  • Go to Settings>Accessibility>Keyboards, tap Full Keyboard Access, turn it on.
  • Under Settings >Accessibility>Keyboards>Commands you find a list of predefined commands with their assigned keyboard shortcuts. These keyboard/command combos are sorted in categories.
  • Scroll down, the last category are the shortcuts created or accessible from Apple’s Shortcut app installed on your iPad.
  • Tap on the “Power Down”-shortcut you created and assign a key combination to use it.
If you now use the keyboard shortcut you assigned, it will open Settings>General where you can click on Shutdown and then slide to power the iPad down.

• Love
Reactions: Wedlock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.