Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Well I'm slowly turning my 3G iphone into my old iphone1 again in an attempt to make it a plausible cell phone for anyone who can't charge q2 hours. I've turned off 3g and WiFi...but can't do with turning off bluetooth since I'm in/out of my car and needs the hands free.

But what about turning off location services? I've seen several posts here that suggest doing so will save battery life--but will it really? Why? I was under the impressions that the only time the GPS or triangulation was active was when you went to google maps and told it to find you or allowed an app to know your locations...other than that, it should be off...right? So why are people claiming that turning off location services saves battery life if it's an on-demand feature?

Thanks

player2

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
I too would think it would only turn on when you opened up a program that used it.

No need to be using it when you are just sitting around or on the phone.

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Well I'm slowly turning my 3G iphone into my old iphone1 again in an attempt to make it a plausible cell phone for anyone who can't charge q2 hours. I've turned off 3g and WiFi...but can't do with turning off bluetooth since I'm in/out of my car and needs the hands free.

But what about turning off location services? I've seen several posts here that suggest doing so will save battery life--but will it really? Why? I was under the impressions that the only time the GPS or triangulation was active was when you went to google maps and told it to find you or allowed an app to know your locations...other than that, it should be off...right? So why are people claiming that turning off location services saves battery life if it's an on-demand feature?

Thanks

This is correct, the apps only use it when they need it.. but I've heard there are some problems where certain apps aren't turning it back off when they're done (thus draining your battery life)

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
It seems that if you turn off Location Services in the general menu, apps will then continue to bug you and ask if they can use it. If you leave it on, they don't ask obviously.

I don't think there's a way to stop the apps from asking to temporarily turn on location services is there? This is annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.